The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, lately I've been considering selling my unassembled OEM S260 roof, but I'm unsure what to ask for it because I've not seen another one exactly like it for sale. My roof was literally the last real S260 roof ever made, and has every part (plus the adhesive to assemble it). I've seen some specialty parts like this be sold on Bring A Trailer, but I've not used them, and I've heard some mixed reviews.

Also, I'm wondering what to price it at. I've got the spec-sheet from Lotus, but it's missing some of the part numbers (just listed as assemblies), and to make matters worse, some of these parts are now unavailable from Lotus. The best retail I can come up with using DeRoure is $6942 + shipping.

I did see what was supposed to be an OEM S260 roof on eBay last year, but I'm not sure if it sold or not since I can't find it now.

I know nice roofs like this are available from vendors like GRP, but they really aren't the same thing.

I also realize that someone is going to have to pay someone else to put the roof together. Right now the roof is prepped for either clear-coating or painting.

I don't want to ask too much, but I don't want to give it away either, knowing what it is, so I'm a bit stuck.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood
Automotive lighting Hood Rectangle Automotive exterior Font
Fluid Liquid Plastic Automotive lighting Font

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,724 Posts
I think GRP quality on these carbon roofs as quite good now, and probably on par with what you have even tho not genuine 260 part, and they come clear coated. I think asking a bit more then what a new one from GRP goes for is fair, but in my opinion I doubt you’ll get anywhere near close to the $6000 figure. JMHO

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I think GRP quality on these carbon roofs as quite good now, and probably on par with what you have even tho not genuine 260 part, and they come clear coated. I think asking a bit more then what a new one from GRP goes for is fair, but in my opinion I doubt you’ll get anywhere near close to the $6000 figure. JMHO
I don't know if I would agree with this. First off, he has the parts that do not come with the GRP roof. Second, I purchased an OEM CF dash, list is around $7K and I bought it used, and was told that the aftermarket dashes don't fit as well. I can tell you my dash went in with zero issues. Therefore, having an OEM part, you are guaranteed that it will fit like a glove with no issues.

Later,
Eldon

·
Administrator
7,576 Posts
If you're selling please create a FS with high price OBO. No feeler threads.

Reactions: ace10

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

So, what parts are you missing?

Later,
Eldon
There are no missing parts.

If you're selling please create a FS with high price OBO. No feeler threads.
This isn't a feeler thread, I'm asking honest questions. I'm happy to make a FS thread if I can figure out what the roof is worth. I'm asking the Lotus community because someone here might have purchased an authentic S260 carbon roof, sold one, or the like. That's what this forum is for, no?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
@VisualEchos
Sorry, I miss read the statement. I thought you said you where missing a couple of things because they were no longer available from Lotus. It actually stated that the parts you have are no longer from Lotus.

Do you have any idea what the difference in weight is?

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@VisualEchos
Sorry, I miss read the statement. I thought you said you where missing a couple of things because they were no longer available from Lotus. It actually stated that the parts you have are no longer from Lotus.

Do you have any idea what the difference in weight is?

Later,
Eldon
I'm missing the part numbers for some of the pieces, not the pieces.

The weight of my roof is 9.5 lbs. You can see it if you look close.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,576 Posts

This isn't a feeler thread, I'm asking honest questions. I'm happy to make a FS thread if I can figure out what the roof is worth. I'm asking the Lotus community because someone here might have purchased an authentic S260 carbon roof, sold one, or the like. That's what this forum is for, no?
It will be fine unless members seek to purchase it. At that point it's a feeler post. You usually know your products well and have posted prices.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will be fine unless members seek to purchase it. At that point it's a feeler post. You usually know your products well and have posted prices.
Fine line, I understand. It's pretty uptight around here, so if anyone shows real interest I'll delete the post and make a FS thread.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,724 Posts

That’s fine, Unless someone has unlimited funds to pay for the real deal, Then the GRP made one will probably suit 99% of those interested in a carbon roof. GLWS.

·
Administrator
7,576 Posts
Fine line, I understand. It's pretty uptight around here, so if anyone shows real interest I'll delete the post and make a FS thread.
That will work!

Reactions: VisualEchos

·
Administrator
7,576 Posts

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Will this roof fit an Elise?
Yes, all Exige roofs will fit the Elise.

I have stated that information above (Bell and Covill is DeRoure) and the roof part number itself is not complete, meaning it doesn't come with all the parts. Beyond that, good luck getting one, Lotus no longer makes specialty parts for the S260 cars, so although it may show you can add something to your cart, they will contact you back saying it's unavailable. I worked for Lotus selling parts for 2 years, so I know the availability pretty well.

To make sure my information is correct I've contacted Lotus parts for their response.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What is the condition? Looks like a lot of scuffs and scratches, but can't tell if it's just the lighting. Mint, you can ask whatever you want and go from there... But is the adhesive all dried in the tube and clear coat damaged?
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What is the condition? Looks like a lot of scuffs and scratches, but can't tell if it's just the lighting. Mint, you can ask whatever you want and go from there... But is the adhesive all dried in the tube and clear coat damaged?
The roof is literally perfect, you're only seeing the factory paint/clear prep, and normal scuffs as it is before painting/clearing. It's perfectly smooth. It just looks weird because you/we/people don't normally see the parts before they are finished.

The adhesive is perfectly fine as well, but I imagine that most bodyshops will have similar materials on-hand, I only mention that I have it because someone might want to assemble it themselves, which is what I had planned to do. As long as the adhesive is stored at the right temperature it'll be good for years.

I can ask whatever I want, sure, but I'd like to be reasonable.

·
Administrator
7,576 Posts
Yes, all Exige roofs will fit the Elise.

I have stated that information above (Bell and Covill is DeRoure) and the roof part number itself is not complete, meaning it doesn't come with all the parts. Beyond that, good luck getting one, Lotus no longer makes specialty parts for the S260 cars, so although it may show you can add something to your cart, they will contact you back saying it's unavailable. I worked for Lotus selling parts for 2 years, so I know the availability pretty well.

To make sure my information is correct I've contacted Lotus parts for their response.
In that parts diagram does it not list all the parts for the roof with the exception of the adhesive? Seems to me the sum of the total should get you pretty close to the price. Your contacting them is the best route in the end.

Reactions: VisualEchos

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In that parts diagram does it not list all the parts for the roof with the exception of the adhesive? Seems to me the sum of the total should get you pretty close to the price. Your contacting them is the best route in the end.
You would think that, but when I purchased mine all the parts had to be bought separately because the roof was no longer being made. But maybe something has changed, so I have an email in to Dino to check it out for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts