·
Registered
7,338 Posts
Reactions: ace10 and GDBB

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
835 Posts
I'm missing the part numbers for some of the pieces, not the pieces.

The weight of my roof is 9.5 lbs. You can see it if you look close.
Are both parts in this weight or is that only the top half?

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just got confirmation back about the part number, what is has, and what the total would be to order one from Lotus. The only thing I don't have confirmation on is if it can even still be purchased from Lotus, since my source at Lotus told me last year that there would be no more S2 carbon parts made.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Logo

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
As an OEM part, I think that piece is extremely valuable. While the other poster is probably right in that an aftermarket part would probably satisfy many people out there looking for one, I have no doubts that there will be someone willing to pay an "appropriate" price for an authentic Lotus OEM part that will soon become unobtanium. Just look at the prices used Exiges are commanding on Bring-A-Trailer. While I did buy an aftermarket CF full-mohawk roof for my '07 Exige, that was because it was heavily modified for track use and I did not value it as a collectible or show car. On the other hand, if I had a beautiful low-mileage 2009 or 2010 Exige 260 Sport (and I have thought about picking one up when I see the rare one up for sale), AND I happen to need a roof for it, I would certainly never buy a lesser aftermarket piece to put on it. I would wait and wait and wait until I found an OEM piece and I would pay a lot for it. I would think anyone willing to pay $80K for a used Exige wouldn't find $6K (or more) for a genuine Lotus CF roof unreasonable.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As an OEM part, I think that piece is extremely valuable. While the other poster is probably right in that an aftermarket part would probably satisfy many people out there looking for one, I have no doubts that there will be someone willing to pay an "appropriate" price for an authentic Lotus OEM part that will soon become unobtanium. Just look at the prices used Exiges are commanding on Bring-A-Trailer. While I did buy an aftermarket CF full-mohawk roof for my '07 Exige, that was because it was heavily modified for track use and I did not value it as a collectible or show car. On the other hand, if I had a beautiful low-mileage 2009 or 2019 Exige 260 Sport (and I have thought about picking one up when I see the rare one up for sale), AND I happen to need a roof for it, I would certainly never buy a lesser aftermarket piece to put on it. I would wait and wait and wait until I found an OEM piece and I would pay a lot for it.
I'm the exact same way. I'm not in a hurry to sell it, I was just wondering what the community thought of it. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Who has a pristine collector Exige without the roof?? Nobody. If it did lose its roof it wouldn’t be pristine anymore.

·
Registered
2009 Exige 260 Sport
624 Posts
Please post individual images showing both sides of the CF top's outer and inner constituent parts.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Please post individual images showing both sides of the CF top's outer and inner constituent parts.
Pix should be in my thread already.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Who has a pristine collector Exige without the roof?? Nobody. If it did lose its roof it wouldn’t be pristine anymore.
Yes, probably a low probability occurrence, but things do happen. Once I actually didn't realize one of my front bolts had come loose on my aftermarket CF roof, and driving down the highway I noticed it starting to move. Had I not been paying more attention, I think it easily could have lifted enough at speed to rip the other bolt off and fly off. Fortunately I was coming from a track day and I had a roll of track tape handy to tape the whole front of the roof down and seal the gap to the windshield. In fact, I seem to recall a video of that happening to someone in an Elise or Exige. Another time, some kids in the middle of the night decided to take one of the huge river rocks decorating our front lawn and put it through the window of our Lexus in the driveway. I caught it on camera. I'm just thankful our nicer cars are in the garage. If that rock hit the roof of an Exige, it would be toast. Assuming insurance might be pitching in for that replacement, I would certainly insist on OEM or as close to OEM as I could get.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes, probably a low probability occurrence, but things do happen. Once I actually didn't realize one of my front bolts had come loose on my aftermarket CF roof, and driving down the highway I noticed it starting to move. Had I not been paying more attention, I think it easily could have lifted enough at speed to rip the other bolt off and fly off. Fortunately I was coming from a track day and I had a roll of track tape handy to tape the whole front of the roof down and seal the gap to the windshield. In fact, I seem to recall a video of that happening to someone in an Elise or Exige. Another time, some kids in the middle of the night decided to take one of the huge river rocks decorating our front lawn and put it through the window of our Lexus in the driveway. I caught it on camera. I'm just thankful our nicer cars are in the garage. If that rock hit the roof of an Exige, it would be toast. Assuming insurance might be pitching in for that replacement, I would certainly insist on OEM or as close to OEM as I could get.
I lost the roof on my Exige while I was driving. Just had it laying on there while I did some work, forgot about it. Luckily I was going very slow, it flipped up, then landed flat top-down onto the grass. There are couple of small cracks in the paint around the scoop, but they're tiny. I was very lucky.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts