The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am selling my spot in line to "have the right" to purchase my elise on order. I am not up charging the spot or am trying to make money, but rather trying to get back the money i have down on the car.

The car on order has all the following options:

storm titanium paint, sport pack, touring pack(red), and hard top.

i am just trying to get my deposite back which is $1,500 toward the car. The car was ordered in March so its in the second batch which should be coming in very shortly

give me a call (949) 394-0084 anytime
I live in Mission Viejo CA and have the spot at newport euro (ask for Theo)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I would be interested in purchasing the hardtop from this car if the buyer wishes to sell it.

Patrick

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I've been told that in California, deposits are fully refundable by law (actually, I think the law is that it's illegal to take deposits, thus the money is considered a little differently even though it is in effect a deposit). So, you should be able to get your money back from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
MattG said:
I've been told that in California, deposits are fully refundable by law (actually, I think the law is that it's illegal to take deposits, thus the money is considered a little differently even though it is in effect a deposit). So, you should be able to get your money back from the dealer.
The sales contract at this dealer doesn't include a "deposit"; the money you give them is "an option to buy". Thus you have purchased an option at the time you sign the sales contract. The key word there is "purchased", as in past tense, as in money gone. I'm sure their attornys have thoroughly researched that aspect of the law.

Also, that dealer sells all cars at a markup over MSRP. True, they might get an even bigger markup if they were to let him out of the sales contract and return his "deposit", so they might go for it. I would be surprised if they agree to let a buyer sell his spot, though.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
No matter what they call it it is a deposit and deposits are fully refundable in California. I can assure you that they have no lawer working on such things. This is a small bit of smoke to make you feel comitted.
Have you checked to make sure they are ok with you selling the position? We only honor our agreements with the original depositor and never allow others to assume contractural agreements.

·
Registered
48 Posts
DE has the same "option to purchase" language and they were pretty clear that I could get my money back if I were to change my mind. I did not have to test it since the car in now in my garage, but I remember discussing that with them when I put my money down last January.

·
Registered
970 Posts
theo said:
When i talked to the dealer about selling my spot they said as long as they have the right number to call when the car does come in they wouldn't care.

theo, when will your car come in??...has it been ordered already cause I would like diff color combo...I tried to call you but is that the right phone number???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts