The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A day in the life of a Lotus owner... (downside)

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A day in the life of a Lotus owner... (upside)

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually these are both upside pictures for the mechanics out there ;)

On the bright side this problem was fairly easy to diagnose and even easier to fix :)

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Larry -
Ya GOT ME!!!! :D :D

You'd expect your Elan to quit cuz of some exotic mechanical/electrical failure - but RUNNING OUTTA GAS CUZ THE FUEL GAUGE ISN'T READING PROPERLY???? :rolleyes:

A gallon of gas later & a stop at the gas station and all was well! :)

This is the kinda of stuff you have to endure when sorting out a fresh restoration.

Thanks to all that stopped to help - as you can see there was LOTS!!! MattG, LBonham, Tom, Barry, Mel, Scott, Chris... oh I'm forgetting someone... THANKS GUYS!!!

Kiyoshi

P.S. MattG's car (mag blue) LOOKS SWEET!!!! Congrats Matt!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
This was a great Lotus event for me, I'm really glad I attended. The GGLC crowd is a great group of people and I look forward to more events with them. Kiyoshi, thanks for the demonstration of The Lotus Ownership Experience! I had always heard these cars have their little quirks that you have to get used to; your fuel gauge problem is a great example of that. ;)

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
KIyoshi....... running out of gas??????????:D
Chris
Yup... shall we make this a national holiday! :D

The gauge was reading about 1/2 tank when the engine quit. When the ignition was off it read about 1/4 tank. After I filled it up the gauge read 1/2 full. Go figure...:rolleyes:

Looking for a new gauge...

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
727 Posts
kahmai,

Before you try a new gage, take out the sending unit and clean it up. As with most Lucas stuff, that often works. It did for mine about 15 years ago and is still fine. If you've never had it out, it's worth the time just to see how it works.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
MikeRoberts44 said:
kahmai,

Before you try a new gage, take out the sending unit and clean it up. As with most Lucas stuff, that often works. It did for mine about 15 years ago and is still fine. If you've never had it out, it's worth the time just to see how it works.
Good suggestion... normally I'd agree, but I just finish a complete ground up restoration on this car (chassis off, everything was disassembled, and repaired or replaced) and I put a new sending unit in it (tested). I'm certain it's the gauge, did more testing on it with varying voltage and it act funky.

Kiyoshii

1 - 9 of 9 Posts