The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lotus Sport is making available the sequential gearbox from the 2-11 GT4 as a retrofit kit for 2-11 or exige!

I am securing the first one, for my 255 cup.

Anyone else want one? If I buy 2, the shipping on each will be less, additionally a "volume" discount might, might be available. As the cost of this kit is substantial, any discount would be good.

I can probably do the install for you if you like, for a nominal charge. You'll have the benefit of my car being a prototype. :)

The kit comes with all parts necessary to convert from the C64 to the new gearbox, ie shifter, cables, halfshafts, etc.

If you have ever driven a no-lift shift sequential, you know how great it is. If not, prepare to be amazed.

I believe the no-lift shift and rev match downshift ECU change is available as well, although I'm not sure on that yet. I'm not concerned about that for myself, as I'm going to be using a standalone ECU and will have that functionality as part of that modification. The no-lift shift and rev matching downshift (either factory or aftermarket) will allow you to use a paddle shifter if you like, which I can also set you up with.

I'm hesitant to state the price in public, but if you look at another recent thread on this subject you'll find the ballpark. It is extremely expensive.

PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, not that it really needs to be stated, but this is a track-only application. there is no way this would be functional in a street car. also, being a dog ring gearbox, it's high maintenance compared to a synchro gearbox. it needs to come apart for inspection somewhat frequently.

it is what you would call, "serious".

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
almost certainly.

from reports, it failed after 18 hours. that doesn't include test and qualify time of course.

maybe it isn't up to the task of a 24 hour race. i know for my other cars with sequentials, i do not go 18 hours between rebuilds.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Lotus Sport is making available the sequential gearbox from the 2-11 GT4 as a retrofit kit for 2-11 or exige!
...not that i'm a potential customer, but is the exige so different that this kit couldn't be installed on a track-dedicated elise?..

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
As soon as I saw the phrase "sequential gearbox," I knew it was you, Frank. Glad to see you on Lotustalk! At any rate, what is the price on this gearbox? (Can't afford one; just curious... and of course I have an Elise, not an Exige.)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as I saw the phrase "sequential gearbox," I knew it was you, Frank. Glad to see you on Lotustalk!
ha! did i give myself up that easily? :)

At any rate, what is the price on this gearbox? (Can't afford one; just curious... and of course I have an Elise, not an Exige.)
it's in the $30k neighborhood. -eek-

i don't know why it wouldn't fit an elise. at most, i would THINK it MIGHT need custom axles. i guess you wouldn't want to have to change your name to JonOrangeSequentialElise. :D

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I'll offer heal toe lessons for $50/hr. :)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I've never had to blip on downshifts nor heel-toe with a sequential? I lift on up shifts, but that's it (and if one has ECU wired in you don't even have to do that).

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've never had to blip on downshifts nor heel-toe with a sequential? I lift on up shifts, but that's it (and if one has ECU wired in you don't even have to do that).
With a sequential, you still must match the revs on a downshift just like a standard transmission. Otherwise, you risk jolting the transmission, locking the wheels for a split second, and upsetting the balance of the car. Its essentail you blip on a downshift with a sequential (a real racecar one, not a tiptronic or street car transmission). Some sequential boxes require a slight lift to upshift or you can do a no-lift shift if the ecu supports that feature.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With a sequential, you still must match the revs on a downshift just like a standard transmission.
+1

sequential or not doesn't change the rotating assembly speeds and speed mismatch on a downshift. you have to match revs with a sequential for the same reason you have to match revs with an h-pattern.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Depends on the power plant and what rev range the motor lives in and few other variables.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to see someone bring Sequential, but I've seen this done before many times (various other street car transformations).

I personally would rather see someone improve the Matrix tranny for an affordable alternative to support big HP numbers.

For many of us track junkies a 30K sequential with 18hr rebuilds is a "that's nice now back to affordable fun" ;)

Rob.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depends on the power plant and what rev range the motor lives in and few other variables.
yep. just saying, if you need to heel toe an h-pattern, than in the same car you need to heel toe a sequential.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to see someone bring Sequential, but I've seen this done before many times (various other street car transformations).

I personally would rather see someone improve the Matrix tranny for an affordable alternative to support big HP numbers.

For many of us track junkies a 30K sequential with 18hr rebuilds is a "that's nice now back to affordable fun" ;)
the sequential is definitely not in the affordable category. it's also not (IMHO) in the big HP category. the spec capability is 350 N-m torque, which is roughly going to be about 350HP. i'd be worried about running it that close, so to be conservative somewhere around 300HP.

18 hour rebuild would be going too long, again IMHO. i would go for 6-10 hours. until you know what kind of wear and tear you put on it (according to driving style), it really needs to be taken apart every weekend. it's not really for a "track junkie" type.

oops, did i say all that? i meant, this is the must-have part of the year! there are only 3 available so better move quick! :)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
+1

sequential or not doesn't change the rotating assembly speeds and speed mismatch on a downshift. you have to match revs with a sequential for the same reason you have to match revs with an h-pattern.
It was my understanding that the ECU does the downshift rev match for you on this box...:)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Not sure what comes with the $30,000 price tag -- maybe some hookers and cocaine?

For 300bhp or so a 6 speed sequential for BMW's cost considerably less $4500-$6000 range. VAC 6sp sequential

It would be cheaper to retro fit a different motor with a realistically priced sequential box, than to buy this $30,000 "experimental" gearbox for a 2ZZ. Even more so if one still has to heel toe this 30K unit (aka doesn't come with necessary electronics).

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Wow, for that price you could almost purchase a back up car. :D On the other hand the strait cut gear DOG mission I had in my stripped down RX7 was some serious fun. Albeit I did feel like my head was going to explode after extended driving. :shift:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Wow, for that price you could almost purchase a back up car. :D On the other hand the strait cut gear DOG mission I had in my stripped down RX7 was some serious fun. Albeit I did feel like my head was going to explode after extended driving. :shift:
There's a H-pattern C-64 dog box conversion available from Lotus as well but the inspection interval on it is also pretty brief.

I'd love to see photos or a diagram or something as I'm curious how they packaged it, but that's it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts