The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

This is my first post. I'm from Portugal, and though not owner of a Lotus Elise or Exige, I think that I can contribute for the forum in other way.

First of all, hope you don't consider this as publicity, since this is just a request of feedback and opinions, hopefully.

So here it is: I’m developing a sequential shifter specially designed to fit the Ariel Atom and another in the same way for the Lotus Elise/Exige.
The design is modular, using the same internal components as possible for both cars, only using different external fixture points and covers to match the specific cars.

Thought at the moment, I’m working on the details of the mechanism itself. The idea is to build and provide an easy to use device, that will directly replace the original gear lever.
It will be a “plug and play” item!
Remember that this is not a sequential gearbox! The gearbox will be kept the same without any change. You still will need to use the clutch pedal! The same goes for the shifting cables!

This device will replace the “H” pattern for a sequential one, making the gearshifting quicker, cleaner and safer! You all know how bad it is to fail passing from 2nd to 3rd at high revs!

Anyway, the intention is to ask if there are any interested people to test the first “pre-production models”, giving me the much needed feedback on the possible issues during “normal” use?

I will not give any delivery times at the moment, nor a selling price, or pics for that matter, since we are working on the patent issues!

I just want to know if there are people willing to work with me on this, as soon as the first tests are complete.

We already have the necessary knowledge about this kind of work, since we also have developed a sequential shifter for the Ford Type 9 gearbox, and the results are awesome!

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Regards from Portugal,
Ernesto Freitas
L u s o M o t o r s

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have 2006 elise and would be interested in talking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interested in

Hello,

I live in South Korea.
I am interested in your products.
Similar products are made from Japan, Ikeya shifter.
I wanted to buy but price is high.

I can test pre-production products. I usually daily drive and go to track 3~5 times a year.

My contact

[email protected]

Hello.

This is my first post. I'm from Portugal, and though not owner of a Lotus Elise or Exige, I think that I can contribute for the forum in other way.

First of all, hope you don't consider this as publicity, since this is just a request of feedback and opinions, hopefully.

So here it is: I’m developing a sequential shifter specially designed to fit the Ariel Atom and another in the same way for the Lotus Elise/Exige.
The design is modular, using the same internal components as possible for both cars, only using different external fixture points and covers to match the specific cars.

Thought at the moment, I’m working on the details of the mechanism itself. The idea is to build and provide an easy to use device, that will directly replace the original gear lever.
Remember that this is not a sequential gearbox! The gearbox will be kept the same without any change. You still will need to use the clutch pedal! The same goes for the shifting cables!

This device will replace the “H” pattern for a sequential one, making the gearshifting quicker, cleaner and safer! You all know how bad it is to fail passing from 2nd to 3rd at high revs!

Anyway, the intention is to ask if there are any interested people to test the first “pre-production models”, giving me the much needed feedback on the possible issues during “normal” use?

I will not give any delivery times at the moment, nor a selling price, or pics for that matter, since we are working on the patent issues!

I just want to know if there are people willing to work with me on this, as soon as the first tests are complete.

We already have the necessary knowledge about this kind of work, since we also have developed a sequential shifter for the Ford Type 9 gearbox, and the results are awesome!

Regards from Portugal,
Ernesto Freitas
L u s o M o t o r s

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would also be interested if I knew more about what your product will actually do. I don't quite understand the removal of the H pattern for a sequential pattern? Will it change the shift pattern to just up and down? Will it be all up for up shifts and all down for downshifts? If you can clarify that I would be more interested.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm interested in helping test and definitely interested in purchasing the completed product.

We've been waiting for something like this! :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm in.

San Diego USA

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Interested.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...sounds intriguing - could you provide more specific details on its operation?..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello.

Thank you for your interest.

The system will be mechanical and the main objective is to keep all the original parts, including the push-pull cables, except for the gear lever assembly.

The device intends to be “plug and play”, so only a few bolts to work with and it should be ready to use.

We are working on several things, especially in the reliability and final price of the product.

Hopefully, will have news soon and will give more details.

Thank you again for your interest.

Regards from Portugal.

Ernesto Freitas
L u s o M o t o r s

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would also be interested if I knew more about what your product will actually do. I don't quite understand the removal of the H pattern for a sequential pattern? Will it change the shift pattern to just up and down? Will it be all up for up shifts and all down for downshifts? If you can clarify that I would be more interested.
Hi.

That's right.

The device changes the "H" pattern for a sequential pattern.

Let's imagine you will start in the "Neutral".
You select 1st by pushing the gear lever to the front... then, to select the 2nd gear, you pull the gear lever... the same for the 4th, you pull the gear lever again... and so on.
It's the same as in a motorcycle...

Regards,

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
what do you do to get reverse?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm interested as long as the effort can be kept low. I believe Frank over @ moremonkey found the Ikeya was way too effort - the principle of leverage causing way to much effort for the short throw.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm down for one. Just got a chance to drive a friend's Radical SR3. Sequential shifter is SO much fun!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hasn't been much more talk about this, but I have been thinking about it quite a bit. I'm still hesitant about it. There are a few more questions I have about it, how would you know what gear your in? That might sound silly but realistically sometimes when driving around the highway I forget what gear I'm in and think I'm in 4th on the highway try to go to 5th and realize I'm in 6th because the revs are so high at highway speed and I'm still not used to it. Also how would you get to reverse as another person asked? I would think this would be more confusing than it would be better than just the H patteren especially when driving hard and not really paying attention to what gear your in and you just using the feel of the car and the sound of the revs.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Hello.

Regards from Portugal,
Ernesto Freitas
L u s o M o t o r s
Ernesto, like every new development track testing comprises a big part before the final product is released. I say you send me one, of course I'll pay the overseas shipping and I will test it at the track for 2 months and give you all feedback. I hope we can come to an agreement. Cheers,
-Will

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm down for one. Just got a chance to drive a friend's Radical SR3. Sequential shifter is SO much fun!!
But the Radical has a true sequential gearbox, not merely a conversion of the shifter. Sector111 had such a conversion to sequential, but the only one I ever saw was on the Sector111 demo car. I don't see it on their website now. Never seen one on track cars.

My main complaint in transitioning from formula cars to Lotus is that I can't left foot brake, i.e., can't shift without depressing the clutch because it is a synchromesh , not a dog box.
Dog Box Transmission - Honda Tuning Magazine

I don't really care if the dog box is H-pattern or sequential, if paddle shift or gearshift, if autoblip or not, if no-lift upshift or if I need to lift off gas to upshift. Raced all these variations and doesn't make a lot of difference. Just need those dog gears so that clutch isn't needed, freeing up the left foot for proper braking. Unfortunately the 4 or 5 sequentials available for the S2 are all very expensive. What would be very desirable is dog gears replacement for the current Toyota tranny. Hopefully would be more reliable than current synchros. Unfortunetly, dog gears in true race cars typically need frequent inspection and for driver to properly blip and match revs. As inspection of the dog gears would still take considerable time / effort, might not be a more reliable solution, but would be more racey, i.e., faster shifts and enabling left foot braking.

Conversion of shifter to "sequential" on a syncromesh is just possing for the street - won't go faster on track. Won't help with the synchro failures a lot of us have been having with the current Toyota trannys. If all you want is faster, more precise shifting, that problem is basically solved, after considerable trial and error.

·
Registered
313 Posts
shifter

I believe the Radical is a series of solenoids which operate on the stock(quaiffe) gearbox. it is indeed slick---------------as is the whole car.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I believe the Radical is a series of solenoids which operate on the stock(quaiffe) gearbox. it is indeed slick---------------as is the whole car.
Radicals covers a wide range of performance / engines / trannys
Range - Radical Sportscars
Looks like different Radicals use Hewland, Powertec, and Quaife.
The Hewland on the SR5 looks like the same as on my last formula car:
Hewland FTR Gearbox Specification
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/dis...sectionParameter=cars&subSectionParameter=pro
The no-lift shift is cool - keep the gas pedal floored, quick / sharp pull back on the shifter, the Motec ECU momentarily cuts power with a big pop sounding a lot like IRL and a very quick upshift. Star Mazda tried to get the Motec to autoblip for the downshift (allowing paddle shifters), but found that the driver could downshift more reliable than the Motec, so they stuck with the gear shifter and driver having to blip for the downshift. Sold my Pro Formula Mazda earlier this year - now missing left foot braking.:(

There are dog box options for the S1, but haven't heard good things about reliability, e.g.,
Elise Parts - *>**>*PG1 6-Speed Dog Gearkit
Tempted to update my Sport 190, so I can left foot brake something besides the SUV and karting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts