The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a cable substitute for a speedometer cable for a 64 super seven. Comes off a smith guage and am guessing goes into a triumph gearbox, but do not know for sure.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Thanks for all your knowledge. Project is moving along slowly.
If you can't find OEM or acceptable substitute, consider a GPS gauge from a place like SpeedHut.

This is the one I had made up for my Europa. Better understanding the process to 'build' one now, if I were to do it again I could easily get it looking more OEM than this.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Recently, I've heard of several people who's speedo gears in the tranny have failed. Mine included. I'm wondering if their age finally took its toll.

You might consider 4380r's idea. Speedhut allows you to customize the GPS speedo to look pretty similar to a real Smiths which is what he got. It's a little bit bigger than the standard Smiths speedo but that can be overcome as 4380r did.

If you want a Smiths one, they make an electronic speedo (SN5234-04CB on Classic Gauges) and you can get a GPS speed sensor (GPS01 on Accessories). They will also change the bezel to a round one from the 'half-V' on. It's a bit more expensive than the Speedhut rig, though. This is what I chose. First I got mine before I'd heard about the Speedhut unit and I wasn't sure I could fit it where the original speedo was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts