The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I come from the Porsche world and service all my cars myself and find it quite rewarding to do plus it equals more cash in the pocket! Also with Porsches there is a wealth of knowledge out there however for the Esprits there isn't much if any. Any ideas? I was kinda hoping for a DYI timing belt procedure with pictures that someone has done but have had no luck. I wanna see if this is a car I can service myself and enjoy. Alsp where is a good place to get parts at for these cars other than the dealer?

As for pricing these cars they seem to be all over the place. What would you value a 01 Esprit (needing C service) with 20k miles and all original receipts? I have noticed the pre 02's seem to be harder to sell because they don't have the updated rear which is understandable.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
There's a crazy amount of info about looking after these cars, you just need to keep looking. There's a wealth of searchable info recorded in at least 4 forums/mailing lists.

There are websites with tons of info like the one posted above.

I went with a 98 because it's so much less than a 02+ that it leaves a ton of cash for maintenance and all those 02+ upgrades if you want them. Almost all used Esprits are due for the expensive maintenance items: belts, hoses, clutch, radiator, shocks, tires (tires from age not wear).

I couldn't be happier with my choice of a 98.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I have a '99 for sale if you can be happy with the older style rear. If you are proficient you can do anything on a Lotus but some procedures require special tools. Since you don't have to check the belts all that often it may not be worth getting the tools and doing it yourself. Besides, if you mess up it can be VERY expensive! If you are interested in a '99 take a look over at
globalautosports.com and look for the red '99. BTW, it doesn't need any service!
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
231 Posts
There's one of the LOONYs selling his Esprit. It's probably worth a look.
lotusowners.com

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Get a shop manual & it has step by step instructions on how to replace or adjust your timing belts.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Depending on the overall condition I would value it between $30-35K.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Would a 01 Esprit be susceptible to the liner problems?

If the timing belt has not been changed yet is Lotus still doing the first service for free?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
June 2000 build date was the cut off for the liner changes. Pretty much concensus that if you don't overheat the engine (which you don't want to do to any engine), then if it hasn't had liner problems by now, there's a good chance it won't. It was not just the sealant brand/type in question, but the build process. So not all of them suffered poor assembly.

I read that no free belt service after 8 years, but you can call Lotus USA themselves to ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts