The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there are obviously some challenges using the Search functions here on this site and with Google, I was thinking to post something for the new folks without computer experience to help them find their way around a bit easier and ultimately ask better questions.

I hope the Mods will consider using this as a "sticky"

The Search features

At the top of the Forum there are several features/shortcuts that look like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There are advanced tabs under the search features and you can use these for being more selective with your search.

You can also use a search function directly in Google to search this forum or any site - but I don't recall the verbiage.

Perhaps RoadDad or someone else with some more knowledge might wish to chime in here. At least this will give a good beginning for the searchingly challenged.:popcorn:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Using the forum basic tool is fruitless most of the time. Try using the Google one and use as few words as possible.

Let's say I want to search for Brake pads. I wouldn't type in, "What brake pads do I use?" I would type in, "Brake Pads" or "Best Brake Pads"

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
It is frustrating. Often many hours are spent sifting through a lot of threads, and people still get told to "search first" when they finally ask a question. It's great to have such a very useful forum, but it can take some midnight oil to get what you need.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree - so I hope the Mods will post this as a sticky, and I also hope that all the search gurus pitch in to help the newer folks! Like Westrock, thanks good sir!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Unless you bump this thread everyday the new people won't see it. And, a sticky will have absolutely no meaning to them, unless they're familiar with websites. But, if they're familiar with websites they will know how to search. What we have here is a classic "Catch 22" If you don't know what that is, use the search feature

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Google modifier "site:" will allow you to use Google to search a specific site. For example, typing the following into a Google search box:

gas site:lotustalk.com

will give you references to the keyword "gas" on this site. I agree that searching using the local tool or Google can be very difficult though. In some cases the user may not even know the correct keyword for the issue he is investigating.

In general I don't mind seeing some repetitive questions. What is funny is that LT's number one policeman on this issue is now seemingly retired from LT and trying to get people to visit a different site. I wonder if he is as bossy about the search function over there...

At least this site is not as militant with using CAPTCHA in order to search. I avoid any forum site that forces CAPTCHA as I hate having to use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts