The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a diagram of the threading for the belt? Or procedure on adjustment? Mine developed a belt squeal and would like to take care of it. I just got rid of my break squeal so this comes at an inoportune time....

·
Registered
841 Posts
squeal could also be a bearing inside one of the pulleys. If replacing the belt doesnt make the sound go away, buy a a probe stethoscope from amazon.com to help you figure out which pulley needs replacing.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Or could be something it's driving going bad too.

Pull the belt off and spin everything by hand and check for anything abnormal (noise, play, roughness in bearings) before just slapping on a new belt.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears to be just a belt. It squeals when cold and goes away as it warms up. For those with a Katana there the belt needed is: Daco #5060870 or Gates # K060785. I have been putting a quick reference guide together for my Elise for specs and part numbers so I figured that I would share the numbers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I get a chirp when accel from a stop with my AC on, Im thinking its just a old/loose belt or bad tensioner?

Is your squeel more constant or only for a second or so?

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I first start it up it is a squeal as I accelerate. It goes away in a couple minutes when it warms up. I will be changing the belt tomorow and post results. Definetely think it is just a belt though.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Another option, purchase "belt dressing". It makes the contact surface of the belt have more grip. It frequently elminates squeals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts