The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again... this will be deleted as soon as it has completed its mission.

The server will be taken down at around midnight PST. Or maybe later. There will be no warning.

Purpose is to upgrade the amount of RAM from 2gigs to 4gigs. We keep hitting our head on the memory.

This should only take less than an hour.

And possibly... it may not be tonight. Not sure.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Forum Feedback ? :shrug:

Do we get that hour deducted from our monthy bill ?? :shrug:

( ok folks, we should almost be paying him for this much fun )

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Four gigs? Why not eight? or sixteen, why not terabytes? Aren't we worth it? All these hours we spend toiling over these forums, for what, a mere four gigs?

Harumph :eek:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol

BM, I will not do that. Any idiot can have full access.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol

Well, we new we were having some issues. The place where the server lives wanted to first test the ram, which they did. And just to make sure, they swapped out the ram and actively monitored the spikes in use for some days. And decided we could be helped by some more ram.

But we may also have to consider moving some domains and eventually sharing the load. I have two other servers I can move stuff to.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries.

Thanks to the forum sponsors. Bad enough I spend as much time as I do on this site, I would hate to be out of pocket for ram upgrades and such.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Linux

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Depending on the version of linux you're running you could take your ram limit pretty darned high if you wanted. For most reasonable purposes though 4gig should be plenty. (do you really want to sink the money (presume ~10k) to go up to 128gig ram + associated hardware and software?) It'd be cheaper to go to some sort of redundant load sharing system.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
What's the OS? Some operating systems are limited to under 4GB. That is why I will be getting Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
Do your research on this before you sink any money into it. I've yet to hear any good stories from people upgrading to 64bit or from upgrading to vista. Even from my friends over at Microsoft (I work in Redmond) there's been little praise. Unless you need to, you might be better off with XP or mac os until vista is more stable. Anyway, don't want to threadjack, the advice is solid though, do a lot of research before making the 64 bit or the vista jump.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Done. I hope this improves server response and uptime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts