The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odds are this is a dumb question but I will see what everyone's opinion is.

I have a 2006 Elise and it is still under warranty. I live 3 hours from the dealership. Two days ago, the service engine light came on. The engine sounded fine and no distinct sounds or problems noticed.... just the light. I immediately cut the car off, gave it a few minutes and tried it again. I also tried it again the next day. Unfortunately, the same thing happened. I have not driven the car since.

Should I call the Lotus dealership and have them come get the car or should I take it to the Toyota dealership (25 minutes from my home) since it has a Toyota engine in it? I was thinking if I could get a diagnostic test run on the engine, I will know what I am dealing with at least and try to figure out the best way to get the car to the Lotus dealership for the repair. Will it void out the warranty if the Toyota dealership tests it?

What should I do?

Kimmie

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
plug in an obd 2 reader, if you don't have one try autozone or such they'll lend you one usually, rent at worst.

check the petrol cap is secured too.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
plug in an obd 2 reader, if you don't have one try autozone or such they'll lend you one usually, rent at worst.

check the petrol cap is secured too.
+1

If the light's not blinking, it's not likely a serious problem. Better safe than sorry though. If you can get a hold of a reader, check the code and report back, someone here can probably help out.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
As others have said, get an ODB-II reader and check the code that is stored. And just to be picky, it's not a "Service Engine Light" or even the "Check Engine Light", it is properly called a "Malfunction Indicator Light" - MIL.

If the MIL comes on, it indicates the some sort of problem has been detected - it could be as simple as the gas cap not on tightly).

If the MIL is flashing, you should stop the car and get it repaired as a flashing MIL indicates a more serious problem and continued operation of the engine could damage the engine, catalytic converter, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts