The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Another question from a newbie who's looking to buy: There are no Lotus dealers nearby where I live if I have to have my car worked on. In your experiences, are good European mechanics capable of working on Evoras? Could a Toyota dealer work on teh engine?
Thx!
John

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Don't own one either, but I think any good shop should be able to most of the work without an issue. I would avoid the Toyota dealer; no need to pay that much an hour for most service.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The big problem is going to be part availability if it is not Toyota sourced. The main problem with these cars are trim, latches, dashboard, electrical, and some have reported slave cylinder problems as well. Most of these type of problems require Lotus parts and can take some time to get. I have NO idea who will service mine once it is out of warranty. I will try to do most items myself and hope that nothing major goes wrong. If it does, I may take back to the dealer (over 200 miles from me).

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
How far are you from the Lotus dealer? First service may need to be done to maintain your warranty. Most of the issues are warranty issues (mostly trim issues as James mentioned) so you'd need a dealer for that. Service-wise, you could probably just do your own oil changes. It's not a very finicky engine.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
For the niggles like trim pieces, latches, etc, most of us just make a list and take the car to the dealer for an annual visit while it's under warranty.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Mailing trim pieces like a lost headlight washer covers works. Mailing a new dashboard or roof headliner, not as well. ;)

·
Registered
858 Posts
I hope you are handy if you plan on owning one far away from a dealer. The problem is that I am not. I certainly try though. My wife washed the Lotus yesterday on her day off and noticed that the driver's side headlight had noticably sunken into the bumper. It is now recessed and sitting oddly. So, my weekend now consists of pulling things apart to get to it and see what has happened. Joys of Lotus ownership I assume.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I hope you are handy if you plan on owning one far away from a dealer. The problem is that I am not. I certainly try though. My wife washed the Lotus yesterday on her day off and noticed that the driver's side headlight had noticably sunken into the bumper. It is now recessed and sitting oddly. So, my weekend now consists of pulling things apart to get to it and see what has happened. Joys of Lotus ownership I assume.
My passenger side head light is noticeably loose compared to the driver's side. Would love to know what you find and how you got in there to take care of it. Photos man! photos!! LOL. :bow::bow:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Already done this once without removing the wheel and it was terrible. I'm going to jack it up and remove the wheel this time. Problem is that on the driver's side my car (IPS) has a transmission cooler that blocks access to the forward mounting point of the light. Hopefully whatever the problem is will be at the rear. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Sorry to hear that your headlight sunk. Whoa.... wait a minute.... your wife washes your car? I'm impressed! :bow:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Considering the fact that she drives it more than me it is debatable whose the car really is. I am very blessed to have married a girl that shares my hobby.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Already done this once without removing the wheel and it was terrible. I'm going to jack it up and remove the wheel this time. Problem is that on the driver's side my car (IPS) has a transmission cooler that blocks access to the forward mounting point of the light. Hopefully whatever the problem is will be at the rear. We shall see.
I had the same problem on the driver's side and had it taken care of under warranty. They said that one of the bolts had come off so they put a new one on and then used lock-tite to ensure it would stay on. Just fyi that if you're going to go thru the trouble of tightening or replacing it, lock-tite is a pretty good idea to make sure you don't have to go back in there again some day

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Considering the fact that she drives it more than me it is debatable whose the car really is. I am very blessed to have married a girl that shares my hobby.
Just teasing ya. My wife can't drive stick so the Evora is all mine. She's also not into cars too much, so when she asked for a performance tune on her car, I quickly obliged to keep her interest. And, although she is very supportive and puts up with my car crap, she usually doesn’t help with washing the cars unless I’m washing multiple cars in one day, the last one is hers and she needs it to go shopping :facepalm

·
Registered
858 Posts
I had the same problem on the driver's side and had it taken care of under warranty. They said that one of the bolts had come off so they put a new one on and then used lock-tite to ensure it would stay on. Just fyi that if you're going to go thru the trouble of tightening or replacing it, lock-tite is a pretty good idea to make sure you don't have to go back in there again some day
I hope that is it and further hope it is one of the back bolts instead of the front. Locktite is an excellent idea.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.