The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Lotus Esprit V8
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As earlier posted, I am a newbie to the forum. Consequently, please forgive my initial postings. I’m sure the subject matters have been covered many many times before.
I hope to complete my acquisition of a 1999 Lotus Esprit V8. It has 25,000 miles with a brand new engine having been installed about 10,000 miles ago(long story).
My customary routine when purchasing a new vehicle, regardless of exotic or non-exotic status, is to have it completely serviced so that I basically start at ground zero. This includes oil, transmission, differential, plugs, wiring and other servicing. Normally I will follow the procedures recommended in the owner and maintenance manuals.
However, every now and then, based on input from forum members, There will be suggestions or recommendations regarding these items that differ from those set forth in the manuals.
I would sure appreciate any input from the forum members regarding the above listed items.
Most sincerely,
Nevadarick

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
As earlier posted, I am a newbie to the forum. Consequently, please forgive my initial postings. I’m sure the subject matters have been covered many many times before.
I hope to complete my acquisition of a 1999 Lotus Esprit V8. It has 25,000 miles with a brand new engine having been installed about 10,000 miles ago(long story).
My customary routine when purchasing a new vehicle, regardless of exotic or non-exotic status, is to have it completely serviced so that I basically start at ground zero. This includes oil, transmission, differential, plugs, wiring and other servicing. Normally I will follow the procedures recommended in the owner and maintenance manuals.
However, every now and then, based on input from forum members, There will be suggestions or recommendations regarding these items that differ from those set forth in the manuals.
I would sure appreciate any input from the forum members regarding the above listed items.
Most sincerely,
Nevadarick
Unless you have reliable service records showing it was done, the cam belts should be part of your recommisioning process. Esprit V8 owners manual specifies 8yrs or 102k miles for renewal, but I think most enthusiasts use a shorter interval.

Edit: Sorry, just read your post closer. If the engine is "brand new" (I assume that means rebuilt) and only 10k miles maybe your cam belts are ok. Would need more details to better evaluate.

·
Registered
1999 Lotus Esprit V8
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, it is a brand new engine. The original failed at 16k. The new one was installed four years ago and currently has 9,500 miles on it. Remarks on servicing belt(s), fluids, plugs, wiring, are respectfully solicited. Also, I typically would add a can of SeaFoam every 1,000 miles. Recommendations/observations?

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
I didn't realize there would be any brand new units available in 2016 (?) of an engine that as far as I know was last produced around 2004. Just out of curiosity and also for future reference if ever needed (God forbid, please 😰) do you happen to know where was it sourced from?

In addition I would add brake/clutch fluid and coolant flush to your list.

Owners manual also specifies an interval for power steering fluid change, not sure how many owners actually keep up with that one.

Anyway best of luck with your 1999, I'm sure you will enjoy it. They are fantastic cars.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,237 Posts
Welcome, I see you are from Vegas.

Might be worthwhile to read this topic from @JamesN

There IS a local chapter of Lotus, Ltd nearby, as well.

·
Registered
1999 Lotus Esprit V8
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't realize there would be any brand new units available in 2016 (?) of an engine that as far as I know was last produced around 2004. Just out of curiosity and also for future reference if ever needed (God forbid, please 😰) do you happen to know where was it sourced from?

In addition I would add brake/clutch fluid and coolant flush to your list.

Owners manual also specifies an interval for power steering fluid change, not sure how many owners actually keep up with that one.

Anyway best of luck with your 1999, I'm sure you will enjoy it. They are fantastic cars.
THX for the additional items! Forgot about them.

Re the engine, I will post once I have been able to review all of the records--few days hopefully.

·
Registered
1999 Lotus Esprit V8
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome, I see you are from Vegas.

Might be worthwhile to read this topic from @JamesN

There IS a local chapter of Lotus, Ltd nearby, as well.

I will actually be driving my 99 V8 from San Diego back to Vegas tomorrow!! If all goes ok on the pre purchase inspection! Recommendations on the drive? I know it will be hot ( greater than 100).

Regarding the servicing recommendations, other than possibly VSA Motorsports (which I know nothing about), are there other servicing experts or facilities available in Vegas.

I will inquire about the Las Vegas Lotus Chapter.

Rick

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,237 Posts
Since you are driving a new-to-you V8, make sure that both the header tank (engine bay) and overflow tank (RR wheel well) have coolant in them. The plastic overflow is deceptive, the scum on the inside may look as if it has coolant when it doesn't.

V8s run marginally hotter than 4 cylinder cars, but keep an eye on the gauge...

My only recommendations on the drive are to take twisty back roads whenever possible! :giggle:

·
Registered
1999 Lotus Esprit V8
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since you are driving a new-to-you V8, make sure that both the header tank (engine bay) and overflow tank (RR wheel well) have coolant in them. The plastic overflow is deceptive, the scum on the inside may look as if it has coolant when it doesn't.

V8s run marginally hotter than 4 cylinder cars, but keep an eye on the gauge...

My only recommendations on the drive are to take twisty back roads whenever possible! :giggle:
Appreciate the recommendations! I'll keep a close eye on the temp gauge!!

·
Registered
1999 Lotus Esprit V8
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey carbuff: If I were so inclined, how do I go about posting a picture of the Esprit and then list my other, lesser rides?

·
Registered
‘83 Turbo Esprit
38 Posts
I will actually be driving my 99 V8 from San Diego back to Vegas tomorrow!! If all goes ok on the pre purchase inspection! Recommendations on the drive? I know it will be hot ( greater than 100).

Regarding the servicing recommendations, other than possibly VSA Motorsports (which I know nothing about), are there other servicing experts or facilities available in Vegas.

I will inquire about the Las Vegas Lotus Chapter.

Rick
Given the heat, I would save the desert stretch (from Barstow to Vegas) until after sunset. Barstow has a few places to eat (As an East Coaster, I chose In-n-Out :)).

I would make sure the fan circuit is working correctly and bring some additional coolant (my fan circuit tripped, engine overheated and drank 3 gallons of coolant...!).

Robert Cunningham of SNLCC was a fantastic help with my problems!

·
Registered
1999 Lotus Esprit V8
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love the recommendations--ones that you just don't think of unless you've had a prior "experience". THX

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
In-and-Out is alright, but whenever out West I always look for the nearest Jack-in-the-Box, how can you beat 2 tacos for $1? It was a sad day when they abandoned the East Coast. 😭

Hopefully the ac is working but if not the cabin stays relatively cool with windows down and top popped up, wind buffeting is minimal. Ironically this seems to draw in hot air somehow through the chassis central tunnel so the console around the shifter heats up. Not a big deal, and it doesn't happen with windows and top closed. Be careful of the pop top rear latches, they are plastic, not the sturdiest things.

There is some V8 ac discussion here, just in case you need it:

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Hmmm. San Diego? 99 Esprit? There is a 99 Esprit on Bring a Trailer coming out of Shingle Springs, CA (Northern California) - this can't possibly be the same car? There is no mention of a replaced entire, but having two 99 Esprits being sold at the same time is like statistically near zero.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-lotus-esprit-4/

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Hey carbuff: If I were so inclined, how do I go about posting a picture of the Esprit and then list my other, lesser rides?
When you post, there is a 'photo' icon (left of 'camera' icon) in the tool bar below - click on it and it'll ask which file to use

·
Registered
1999 Lotus Esprit V8
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice on the use of the "pop top" in lieu of A/C. I'll try it.

Regarding hamburgers, I WAS an In-N-Out aficionado until I tried Culvers "Butter Burger". Wow, crispy edges, made fresh, nothing like em!!
Re the Shingle Springs 99 V8, I followed it on BaT. Looks like a good car only in need of belt service. But, it is not my car. Mine really is in San Diego and I fly there in the AM.

Rick

·
Registered
1999 Lotus Esprit V8
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm looking forward to getting back into Euro exotics. I've been into American Muscle for some time now. Recently sold my 1969 Boss 429 and my 1958 Fuelie Corvette. I still have a 1970 Nova Yenko Deuce ( around 72 left in all colors) and a 1963 Olds Jetfire ( only 12 left in the US in their original configuration). My lovely wife of 47 years drives her Aston Martin Rapide and her 1972 Land Rover and her 1963 Fiat Multipla ( car pictured as my avatar).

Let me know if anyone would like to see pics. Happy to post.

I am appreciative of this forum!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
A few pics of the B9. Just figuring out the site. Please let me know if it's boring and I'll stop!

Rick View attachment 1266541 View attachment 1266542 View attachment 1266543
Wow. Just wow. One of my friends of my youth got one of these (same color!) from his parents as a high school graduation present and for getting into UCLA pre-med. Overwhelming acceleration,--- braking and turning, not so much.... Great car to go cruise at Bob's Big Boy on Whittier Blvd in Whittier, CA

I almost bought a 58 fuelie in 1979, but found my 67 Elan instead.

Welcome.
Regards,
Dan

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Absolutely stunning Mustang, it must have been tough to part with that. Fortunately you may find, on the replacement, that the initial excitement of getting your Esprit never really wears off, it just gets better every time you look at it in the garage or drive it.

Speaking of driving that's probably the best thing you can do for it, within reasonable limits. These cars hate to sit, and they will punish you for it by mysterious failures not to mention dead batteries. A low cost battery tender would be a good investment at some point.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts