The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read quite a few horror threads about people who live far away from lotus dealers.

I was in the process of buying a lotus under the premise that you can easily service it anywhere, unlike other exotics like Ferraris.

In fact I somehow had it in my head that they can even be serviced at Toyota Dealers! (Yes this rumor is shared by older lotus owners even today)

Which brings up the major question I had for many of you who may not live within convenient location of a quality dealership:

For modern Lotuses, Do you have trouble servicing at Indy/other dealerships? Or does it really need to make its way to a Lotus dealer for all service?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
While the cars have Toyota engines, I wouldn't drop one off at the Toyota dealership. Find an indy shop who preferably deals with race cars if there aren't any with direct Lotus experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While the cars have Toyota engines, I wouldn't drop one off at the Toyota dealership. Find an indy shop who preferably deals with race cars if there aren't any with direct Lotus experience.
I've got a great shop that works on all my race cars. He's done some work on my Ferrari, but 99% of the things need a computer now days so I send my ferrari away for 6 months at a time :(. Seriously, I haven't seen my Ferrari since January...

The shop does have the Porsche computers for my porsches, but he doesn't have anything for lotuses. I guess the second question then is how realistic is it to get the systems that interface with lotus at a local shop...

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I've gone to Lotus dealership a few times only for recall and warranty works, years ago. Fortunately, we have some good independent shops in So Cal that know Lotus and don't charge an arm-and-a-leg for services. And being Toyota engine and transmission, it's not expensive to get proper maintenance or repairs - consumables such as brakes or oil changes are very reasonable. You can get the parts online and just pay for the labor. Also, you can check with local Lotus owners to see where they get the services done at the local independent shops. Just inquire here on the forum, somebody always knows a great shop, hopefully in your area.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I DIY all my work. It’s a car, the mechanics at dealerships are no more capable than I...and it gets my hands dirty. Nothing better. Oh and I don’t trust other people.

Previous owner of my car took it to the lotus dealer for oil changes at the tune of 250.00 IIRC (it’s been 10 years since that convo, I could be confused but I don’t think so.)

Ive done a supercharger install, intake cam swap, clutch and flywheel change, and of course normal maintenance. There is no way in hell I would trust anyone else to do the clutch. You remove most of the rear drivers suspension for that job. Imagine if Johnny wrench commando didn’t torque just one bolt. I don’t want to die because of something like that.

Fat fingered this on my phone. Sorry if typos are horrendous.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I DIY all my work. It’s a car, the mechanics at dealerships are no more capable than I...and it gets my hands dirty. Nothing better. Oh and I don’t trust other people. Gourmet Philly Cheesesteak Recipe - Delice Recipes

Previous owner of my car took it to the lotus dealer for oil changes at the tune of 250.00 IIRC (it’s been 10 years since that convo, I could be confused but I don’t think so.)

Ive done a supercharger install, intake cam swap, clutch and flywheel change, and of course normal maintenance. There is no way in hell I would trust anyone else to do the clutch. You remove most of the rear drivers suspension for that job. Imagine if Johnny wrench commando didn’t torque just one bolt. I don’t want to die because of something like that.

Fat fingered this on my phone. Sorry if typos are horrendous.
the part not to trust other people is the best. and 100% true if you want to keep your car safe. you seem to be well experienced and i was wondering if i can ask some questions? because i'm also getting my hands dirty myself!

·
Registered
821 Posts
the part not to trust other people is the best. and 100% true if you want to keep your car safe. you seem to be well experienced and i was wondering if i can ask some questions? because i'm also getting my hands dirty myself!

I’m far from the most experienced person here. However that doesn’t keep me from having an opinion. I encourage everyone to DIY their work. Back in college I worked as a suspension mechanic. But I’ve been working on cars since I was 14...out of necessity (buy a 1k car for your first, you’d better learn how to work on it).

I’m finally on my way to owning a lift which has me excited. If nothing else it will make oil changes easier on my back.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
2,030 Posts
I definitely recommend doing the work yourself if you can! The Lotus is the perfect platform to start DIY because it is a very simple car and it is relatively easy/simple compared to most modern cars!

I have learned so much on my car and found that I enjoy wrenching when I can do it leisurely!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts