The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
How come I never have $$$ when S4 wheels are for sale? I'd offer to trade you a nice snowmobile for them, but doubt you could use it in TX. LOL Lately I've gotten 5x the use out of my snowmobile than the Esprit though here in PA.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
The spigot diameter on the front S4-V8 wheels changed to be 58mm. The 89 and SE's have 60mm front hub spigots, so the S4 and V8 wheel need to be bored out to 60mm to fit on the 89and the SE's.

I've seen the OZ Futura wheels on an 89 and the studs were too short, but I'm not sure about the S4 wheels.

The S4 wheels do tend to look pretty inset. Many people use spacers to get them to be more flush with the body.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Thanks Guys.
I would like the flush look to the fenders.
What size of spacers would I have to apply?
Where to find?
Thank You in advance.
Mike.E

·
Super Moderator
4,265 Posts
[snip]
I've seen the OZ Futura wheels on an 89 and the studs were too short, but I'm not sure about the S4 wheels.[snip]
There are two sets of OZ Futura:

17x8.5 ET 19 18x10.0 ET 17 non-US S4
17x7.0 ET 23 17x 8.5 ET 30 US S4 (the S4 OZ wheel (Lotus Design?) being discussed are of these dimensions)

I have OZ Futura US spec S4 wheels on my 88 (Citroen transmission).

OEM lug bolts are around 25-27mm - I needed at least 33mm (and went with 40mm) - front.

I also changed the front hubs from 60mm to 58mm (rather than machine out the wheel hub hole - to keep maximum wheel structural integrity)

The rear had 50mm adapter with STUDS because of my Citroen ET -20 (negative 20).

This gave me OEM offsets (not flush with fenders).

Back to Mike: If you want these S4 wheels to be flush, I recommend you fit them NORMALLY, then measure the distance needed for a spacer.

I don't believe you need any adapter for initial use(although you may need longer lug bolts front/rear since you have Renault transmission).

You may have to bore out front wheels to 60mm or change hubs to 58mm like I did.

For the I'm guessing you'll need at least 30mm spacers, but verify it - don't rely on my SWAG.

To be hella flush like this G Esprit :p

Attachments

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
There are two sets of OZ Futura:

17x8.5 ET 19 18x10.0 ET 17 non-US S4
17x7.0 ET 23 17x 8.5 ET 30 US S4 (the S4 OZ wheel (Lotus Design?) being discussed are of these dimensions)

I have OZ Futura US spec S4 wheels on my 88 (Citroen transmission).

OEM lug bolts are around 25-27mm - I needed at least 33mm (and went with 40mm) - front.

I also changed the front hubs from 60mm to 58mm (rather than machine out the wheel hub hole - to keep maximum wheel structural integrity)

The rear had 50mm adapter with STUDS because of my Citroen ET -20 (negative 20).

This gave me OEM offsets (not flush with fenders).

Back to Mike: If you want these S4 wheels to be flush, I recommend you fit them NORMALLY, then measure the distance needed for a spacer.

I don't believe you need any adapter for initial use(although you may need longer lug bolts front/rear since you have Renault transmission).

You may have to bore out front wheels to 60mm or change hubs to 58mm like I did.

For the I'm guessing you'll need at least 30mm spacers, but verify it - don't rely on my SWAG.

To be hella flush like this G Esprit :p

An 88 has completely different wheel offsets than an 89.

Almost nobody in the USA has the UK spec OZ Futuras with the 18" rear.

·
Super Moderator
4,265 Posts
An 88 has completely different wheel offsets than an 89.

Almost nobody in the USA has the UK spec OZ Futuras with the 18" rear.
To be clear for Mike:

88 is ET23 (front) and ET-20 (rear) (60mm bore front and rear)

89 is ET23 (front) and ET30 (rear) (60mm bore front and rear)
S4 is ET23 (front) and ET30 (rear) (58mm bore front, 60mm bore rear

These S4 OZ "Lotus Design" (?) wheels should fit your car without any adapter (just the front wheel bore has to be addressed) and possibly longer lug bolts.

I was surprised when my OZ Futura (17x7) required a longer lug bolt than my OEM 15x7 OZ Ruote wheel. Same factory ET23 offset, but the lug bolt seating thickness was higher.

But if you want to go further and align with edge of fender, you'll have to get a tape measure and see HOW far (adapter thickness) you want to go.

I know my OZ Futuras are identical dimensionally to the "Lotus Design" (?) S4 wheels. But clearly my rear offset is nothing like yours.

And by my eyeballs, my wheel lips are about 1 inch away from the front fender edge alignment (front); possibly 1.5 inch away at the rear edge. That's why you'll have to measure it to make sure on your car.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thanks Guys.
I would like the flush look to the fenders.
What size of spacers would I have to apply?
Where to find?
Thank You in advance.
Mike.E
Mike,

Hit up Quadcam, he has info on a shop in AZ that made custom spacers for our cars. I can't remember the shop name or info but when I got mine, it pushed the wheels out flush and completely changed the stance of the car. Quadcam had his front spacers with 60mm on hub side and 58mm on wheel side so no boring required. I had mine done with 58mm on both sides. They come with all hardware as well.

FYI this was when I had my S4 wheels not my current ones.

Great price on the wheels!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts