The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
dents on the cabin floor is usually not a problem
but in this case the cabin box is dented (where the glue bonds to the cabin floor). a small part of the side sill/frame has been compromised but hard to tell whether this is a big problem or small

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
If I’m looking at this correctly both sides of the chassis are bent? I would have a four wheel alignment done before I bought that car. You need to confirm that it’s not only in spec, but not at the outer limits of spec. Just sayin........

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
That looks like someone used a bad jack point. Assuming it holds an alignment and there are no cracks/tears formed anywhere, it should be fine. Technically though, that is a chassis and it is damaged, and chassis damage kills resale. While this car could be perfectly adequate for any use, you will be upside down in equity if you pay anything close to a normal price

·
Less is Better
2,564 Posts
What's with the scratches and what looks like ripples in the underbody? That car hasn't been treated with the proper care and it's probably an indication of how the rest of the car has been treated. If you're looking for a beater and he's offering it for a really good deal I suppose it's OK. But personally I'd be looking elsewhere.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,339 Posts
Is there a ”story” to this damage? Is that on both sides of the car? I’m guessing the alignment will be fine but have the frame measured before buying as others have suggested. Unless the price is right I would keep looking.

·
2006 Exige
703 Posts
I'd be interested in the 'story' as well. I'd bet the car is fine, but you will have a harder time when it comes to sell as the buyer will be asking all of the questions you are now asking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's been extremely helpful. There's no exact story, just a guess that the previous owner ran something over. I was really hoping to get this car since I've been planning to buy for years but I think I'll have to continue my search. I want to get something I could potentially resell quickly if needed even if the plan is to hold forever.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can you post a link to the advertisement for this vehicle? would be nice to see how the rest of it looks and also so someone else doesn't "Accidentally" but this one without it being disclosed that it has a issue underneath.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
662 Posts
I'd look carefully at the front suspension and the associated pickup points. Running over a curb fast/hard enough to do that to the chassis can't have been good for the front of the car either.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's been extremely helpful. There's no exact story, just a guess that the previous owner ran something over. I was really hoping to get this car since I've been planning to buy for years but I think I'll have to continue my search. I want to get something I could potentially resell quickly if needed even if the plan is to hold forever.
Given the symmetry, I think it was poorly lifted/jacked. Running over something would result in damage to the fiberglass sills so check for that, as I've experienced with a deer carcass...

·
Registered
100 Posts
In your second photo, the under tray looks like it has been dragged over something substantial, in the same location as the sill dents. I would at least remove the under tray and see what the box sections look like. I hate to dissuade anybody from owning one of these gems but this one does look a bit 'suspect.'

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's not damage from the wrong jacking technique; more like an excursion into a curb or driving over something hard and lumpy.

If it were me, I'd run away from this one.

run.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts