The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Search the threads from a few days ago. There was more detail in another thread.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
go to google, search for "lotustalk motorcycle wreck" It will put up a few threads, give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
The gist...
Harley passes a vehicle pulling a trailer, cooks a corner too hot, slides out into an oncoming Lotus, biker is a fatality, Lotus damaged but operator fine.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Very sad to hear these types of things and about the harley driver. Glad to hear the rest involved in the accident are OK, sounds like it could have been much much worse with the trailer and the lotus occupants.

Whoever it was here on the forum, sorry to hear you had to experience that tragedy and I'm sure it isn't easy to go through that

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I found this pic..

Was on my way to Gary's accident location and came up on the site of this second fatality, I saw the damaged Red Lotus and the Harley (maybe it was a chopper or custom I didn't get too close), it looked like a pretty bad incident although the Lotus was actually not very badly damaged, it added to the overall sadness of the day. As code3ryder says (I guess he was one of the LEO's there) Lotus was going uphill in what was a left hander for it, the damage was to the front left of the Lotus. I surmised there and then that bike was coming down hill in what was a right hander for it and drifted wide, its not a difficult corner, I don't want to speculate too much more.

Grabbed this pic with my phone.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Yeah sounds like a very well known and respected biker had died a couple days ago and a lot were on a ride to out to celebrate his life/memories/contributions/etc. Here is what one biker said though:

I'm one of those that firmly believe that a lot can be learned from this situation as well. Let's start with yesterday's impromptu memorial ride from the 76 Station to the accident site which had it's fair share of mishaps.

It was a "speed limit" ride with 50ish cyclist gathering to pay respects. I, as well as others got passed; or better yet, some jockeyed for a better position. The "competitive mentality" was still alive even during the mists of this incident. Being tail gated kind of sucked as well, I finally waived one rider by as I didn't want to get ass-packed if we had to stop quickly, which we did a few miles later. While going the speed limit, a fellow biker making a right hander (at the speed limit) had trouble holding his line right in front of me, and nearly went into on coming traffic. I heard that when the group split-up someone went down as well. Unfortunately none of this is surprising.

I tend to shy away from Group Rides for the most part, they tend to be testosterone filled mini-track days. I have found that riding with 1 or 2 trusted buddies allows for that camaraderie, but not the wind-up and antics. I've also found that having female riders along for the trip can help sometimes too.

Lastly, as most of you already know another biker was killed yesterday on the same road as Gary.

Two simple things we can all do:
1. Ride well within your limits
2. Take it to the Track
A scary reminder for us with 4 wheels as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts