The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am pretty confident with my Esprit's reliability (im sure someone will say those two words, Esprit and reliability cant be used in the same sentence) im sorting out all the minor issues with it, one of which is very embarassing. When I drive it at night the right headlight shakes pretty good at higher speeds. If I attempt to move the bucket by hand, it goes up and down slightly, I already rebuilt the motors in the past with new gears and rollers. Does anyone know is that screw adjustment on the end of that worm gear on the actual motor assy. take care of that play at all or is it an adjustment? I can see the actual motor arm moving when I move the bucket by hand slightly like the play is in the motor itself not holding the light bucket firm.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Headlight Bounce

I went through this on my 1989. You did the first thing which is rebuild those nylon rollers. If that doesn't reduce it sufficiently then I would suggest you look at replacing the Heim joint ends on the bucket control rods. You can get those aftermarket pretty easily - I'm not sure I recall but they are something common - like 10 x 1.25 metric. I bought mine on line for just a few dollars. I reused the rods and just replaced the ends. The last step (and most expensive) is to look at the Heim-like plate and bearing assemblies that articulate between the body and the bucket. I eventually replaced all of mine. If they are really loose you can actually move or jiggle the bucket slightly even with the headlamps parked in the down position. Those as I recall, unfortunately, are about $25 each and I have never been able to find a non-Lotus source. Once I replaced everything the lights pretty much behaved themselves, although based on the design and the physics I don't think you can ever get the lights completely immobilized.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Another wear point is the M6 bolt that secures the outer heim joint to the headlight bucket pivot bracket. Lotus used a fully threaded bolt which can wear, causing the heim to be a loose fit. Find a longer M6 bolt with a bit of shank to replace it, it will be a better fit in the heim.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Those heim-like bearings in plates are used in aircraft. They are bearing plates. You can find them at places like Aircraft Spruce & Supply. The pop rivets that hold them into the body can also come loose and make it seem like the bearing plate is bad. You have to look and see what is moving when you move the buckets. Could be just a loose bolt. With the pod open shake it and see where the play is. It is also a good idea to always make sure the drain hole in the body is clear and put a drop of oil on ALL of the moving joints.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
5,397 Posts
I'll point out that jiggling Lotus headlamps can annoy the drivers of SUVs nearly as much as their lights annoy YOU.

:evil:

Why fix something that isn't broken?

;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts