The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am almost sure I will be going to my first F1 race ever. I hope there are few F1 fans here who has been to F1 Shanghai circuit before. Just wondering about the F1 ticket for Shanghai

1. Is buying the ticket now recommended? or when the time is near, get any discount? Last I heard from last year is that the tickets were not sold out
2. where should I buy them? should I buy the ticket locally in Shanghai (I have relatives there)? Or Internet is OK? I want the best price possible
3. which stands area should I buy the ticket? I see there are several stands to watch the race and the main area costs like ~$500 for 3 days event when I quick searched today. Worth it?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
522 Posts
the concierge at my hotel was able to get me tickets the day before the race for 50% of face value. My party met up w/ another guy who got the 3 day pass w/ similar discount.

I was at the grandstand - at the end, close to turn 1. I would like to be at the starting line. Also, the further up the grandstand -- level 3 -- you'll be shaded from the rain and sun.

In reality, we just got lucky. The seat choice was up to the concierge and what he's able to get.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what I heard too from F1 news. The event wasn't sold out and organizer had problems selling it. but since I never go/buy F1 before, so I don't know...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
It didn't look sold out when I was there. I had bought my tickets way in advance at full price on the F1 website since I wanted to pick my section and I wasn't sure if it would sell out or not. Mind you, even at full price my tickets were only about $100 or so for decent seats near the hairpin turn. China is the cheapest of all the races. :clap: The most expensive seats were about $400 for the 3 days. There was also some "early-bird discount" on the F1 website when the tickets went on sale.

I would hate to go there and then not be able to score tickets.

There were also about a million scalpers at the track but I just can't trust that the tickets they were selling were not fakes.

·
Registered
558 Posts
my general experience with f1 tickets is that the stands sell out quicker and well in advance of general admission.also i've scouted the internet and have found tickets cheaper especially if someone has bought 3 days and can only make one or something and sells the rest.if you're going to travel just for the race i'd buy well in advance.
as for the shanghai circuit its fairly new to the f1 lineup and i cant imagine too much excitement around it .last year the turkish grand prix ran into financial problems so the same can happen in a new circuit as shanghai-

·
Registered
890 Posts
Here's the official ticket office for hte Chinese Grand Prix:

to order by phone: 86-21-63336201/63336203 (9:00 AM to 16:00 PM, Monday to Friday Beijing Time)

to order online: www.icsh.sh.cn/english/shang/tickets_f1.htm - This is how I ordered by tickets for the past few years.

You can find more information at:
http://www.icsh.sh.cn/english/shang/main.php
or you can email them at: [email protected]

There are usually tickets available but the good seats are usually gone.

I would recommend sitting in the Main Grand Stand (you can see most of the track and most importantly the pit) or Grand Stand B area (at the end of straight way and turn 1-3) - b/c you'll see most of the passing and incidents. I've always sat at Grand STand B area (this year hopefully I will have hospitality suite seats)

As for discount, I doubt it will be substantial and the discount tickets are usually crappy seats. Hotel tickets are usually rip offs b/c the concierge charges a 5-10% mark up. Also be VERY CAREFUL of counterfeit tickets - they usually are "Too Good To Be True Deals".

Just to be safe, I would order the tickets now. This way you will get the tickets in May/June (they will mail it to you) and you have nothing else to worry about.

One thing you DO need: if traveling by private car or if you have a chauffeur - it's the parking pass. without that, you will be walking 3 miles to the closest pickup location (NO JOKE). If you are traveling via hotel's shuttle bus, then you don't have to worry about this.

Good luck and maybe i'll see you at the race.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have my bro in Shanghai and he lives like ~35 km from the circuit, so I am staying with him. He told me to just use taxi to go to and from circuit. Where can the taxi drop us off?

I am thinking of the Grand Stand A high or low. Is that what you mean by Main Grand Stand? Grand Stand B cost about half as Grand Stand A for the 3 days pass, does it have roof to cover rain or sun?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have my bro in Shanghai and he lives like ~35 km from the circuit, so I am staying with him. He told me to just use taxi to go to and from circuit. Where can the taxi drop us off?
I highly recommend you get clarification on this. For the past few years, I always had parking passes with the car so the driver can drop/pick us up close to the track - and I remember that taxi can drop you close but CAN NOT pick you up near the track - that's when you need to walk 3 miles to the closest pickup point.

I am thinking of the Grand Stand A high or low. Is that what you mean by Main Grand Stand? Grand Stand B cost about half as Grand Stand A for the 3 days pass, does it have roof to cover rain or sun?
Grand Stand B does NOT have a roof to cover rain or sun. If you stay in the main grand stand, do high to see more tracks and low to see actions in the pit. Make sure you bring ear plugs...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. thx for the info. how much does it cost to have a driver for a whole week (thinking of visiting Shanghai on the week of F1, so want to go around town)? how much is the parking pass?

do you recommend A or B? I want to see the action up close better for overtaking, but would also like to see the whole track. At this point, I m inclined to go B as it costs half as much and I am paying for several people, hence the cost. If it's just me, I would have get A high. How hot is the weather during the F1 week? low or mid 30 C?

·
Registered
890 Posts
ok. thx for the info. how much does it cost to have a driver for a whole week (thinking of visiting Shanghai on the week of F1, so want to go around town)? how much is the parking pass?

do you recommend A or B? I want to see the action up close better for overtaking, but would also like to see the whole track. At this point, I m inclined to go B as it costs half as much and I am paying for several people, hence the cost. If it's just me, I would have get A high. How hot is the weather during the F1 week? low or mid 30 C?
Don't know how much (since my driver/car are comp'ed) but my guess is that that it will run you about 1,000 RMB for a Buick Minivan plus driver for 12 hours. Go to the website I sent you and I think there's a virtual view mode (don't know if its still there). I personally really like B specifically for the overtaking and action at the end of hte straightway. But like you I also want to see the whole thing, that's why I'm going to Man Up and get the hospitality suite this year.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I was in "B" last year - good view of the action :D

There were free shuttle busses that took you from the track to various locations in Shanghai after the race. The walk wasn't too bad but the wait was pretty long. What I did was take a regular cab from my hotel to the track and then take the shuttle bus back to SH after the race since cab drivers cannot get close to the track for pickup. The cab drop-off wasn't very close either but I don't think it was 3 miles.

Anyway, you'll be doing a bit of walking so bring good shoes, earplugs, and a raincoat.

All of us that are going this year should hook up!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
cool. thx. Since this is my first F1 race, I am going to get the B stand first to see how it feels like. If I like, then I will get the A next year around.

I am positive I am going. pchop looks like too. I will try to see if we can organize something and have a meet there. That would be fun if it happens. :D

EDIT: Has any of you watch the Japan F1 race? Just curious, the date is a week apart. I am thinking of doing two in a row, but might not as I don't know whether I like it or not. I guess I am going to watch China first before deciding if it's better to watch on TV or live, lol.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
bring this topic back from the dead. who are going to Shanghai F1? I am going.

I havent buy my ticket yet due to uncertainty, but now I am ready to purchase. Does the ticket also specify seat number as if watching NFL/NBA or any sporting event in the USA? Or just specify a section and whoever get there first get the good seat in that section?

Lets meet and start the party...

To be clear, only Grandstand has covered roof?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
bring this topic back from the dead. who are going to Shanghai F1? I am going.

I havent buy my ticket yet due to uncertainty, but now I am ready to purchase. Does the ticket also specify seat number as if watching NFL/NBA or any sporting event in the USA? Or just specify a section and whoever get there first get the good seat in that section?

Lets meet and start the party...

To be clear, only Grandstand has covered roof?
I will be there with my girlfriend - already bought the tickets for section B. The tickets specify the row and seat number.

When it gets closer to the date, let's chat about a pre-and/or after party :)

I bought through this website (lower price than the international one) but you need a local to help you with the purchase since you need to enter a Chinese address and ID number.

Shanghai International Circuit ---- The Home of Formula 1 in China

Only grandstand A, K, and H have roofs.

:nanner2:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have my bro there, so no problem with local, however which ticket agents do you use? There are a bunch of them on the right panel of the page.

And oh, I am thinking of Section B as well. :)

Oh, please discuss the pre and after soon... I will be out of USA from end of aug to late oct, so internet will be very limited. email is better. My email is gameson at gmail

cstetter, when are you going to be in Shanghai? I am going to be there around 10/11/12 (depends on how long I will be in HK) to end of F1, 19, then fly back to USA on 20

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have my bro there, so no problem with local, however which ticket agents do you use? There are a bunch of them on the right panel of the page.

And oh, I am thinking of Section B as well. :)

Oh, please discuss the pre and after soon... I will be out of USA from end of aug to late oct, so internet will be very limited. email is better. My email is gameson at gmail

cstetter, when are you going to be in Shanghai? I am going to be there around 10/11/12 (depends on how long I will be in HK) to end of F1, 19, then fly back to USA on 20

Sending you a PM :)

Edit - if anyone else is going to be there and wants to hook up, send me a PM.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: Bought the ticket yesterday. :nanner: It looks like just me and cstetter so far. Who else are going?

Oh, is it possible for mortal like us to get pitlane/paddock pass? Or we just have to be fortunate to know someone in the racing team?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts