The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 months of slowly rebuilding my motor, I finally was able to get her to start today. If you check out the maintenance sub forum, you can see I had a 12pg thread going with folks helping me track down an electrical issue (this was my first rebuild, as well as engine removal, so don't mind my stupidity throughout).

I have a few questions, first what goes in this hole? I shot out about a quart of oil in about 4 seconds and shut the car off

Second, the motor is freshly rebuilt, is it OK to let the motor sit and idle for 10 to 15 minutes while I check for leaks etc?

Third, I have a clam hinge kit, and I can't use BOE's rear license plate bracket. I want to drive the car slowly around the storage unit complex but don't want to put on the muffler and take it right back off. Is it OK to run open test pipe?

Fourth, what coolant is suggested? I just have distilled water in the coolant tank right now.

Fifth, any other suggestions for a rebuild? I'm new to this, so I'm not exactly sure what questions to ask. I read the rebuild thread on motor oils, and I'm running straight turbo diesel truck oil from mobile1, full synthetic.

All advice is welcome.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
It's fine to let idle and check for leaks. It's going to be VERY loud and sound like hell with an open exhaust. Problem with that is that you won't be able to hear if there are issues with it that loud...

Also, I sent you a PM about the galley that's open. Congrats on the tick over!
:up:

·
Registered
846 Posts
What's supposed to be in that hole is a factory pressed in ball bearing to seal the end of the oil galley bore.
They aren't a user service item.

My question is where the heck did you get that head and why is this missing?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a Jim Clayton head. I stuck a 1/8th threaded NPT bolt wrapped in Teflon down the hole as per advice from the forums. Does it have to be the ball bearing?

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
No it doesn't have to be a bearing, just need to be plugged. I've seen this happen before. It's not a typcial for the plug to be removed, so it's understandable that it could be overlooked, IMO. That port is sometimes used to monitor oil pressure at the head.

You're plugging procedure should be just fine...

Phil

·
Registered
653 Posts
So because the ball bearing is gone it shoots oil out? If the ball bearing is there no worries? I just got a head from Jim and haven't ran the car yet.. I saw this ran to the garage.. The bearing is there..

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
^ Correct. It's quite rare to pull that plug/bearing. I purchased a head from another builder a few years back, before Jim was doing them, that had the same "issue". It's just a very rare deal to have a pressure sensor there and it would be super easy to overlook that plug and assume it was still in place since 99% of them are never removed--- there's just a not a lot of reasons for it to be missing... This is the 3rd time I've seen it and I've seen a lot of 2ZZ heads...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plugged mine up with a NPT plug. Now that I think about it I remember a ball bearing being in the old head I took off, and that's the reason I left this one unplugged, assuming there was a ball bearing in there. Does it make any difference between having it plugged with a plug vs. A ball bearing ?

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
makes no difference... a plug is a plug... Toyota used a ball bearing because of ease of assembly (no threads for instance- just presses in)...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts