The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Elise with 16,400 miles. It has still original brake pads and discs. Recently, when I apply the brake pedal, there is a squeak that can be heard. However, upon pressing it harder, the noise goes away.

My car has 98% highway miles, and 2% twisties and stop and go traffic driving.

I checked the pads on the outside and it looks like lots of material left. However, I haven't checked the inner pads yet.

Few questions:
-Is it time to change the pads?
-Should I just replace with stock pads?
-Best place and price to pay for pads?
-Should brakes be bled at the same time, and if so, what fluids should be used?
-Also should all 4 pads be changed at one time, or rears first?

Thank you for your help.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BRAND NEW-0 miles-Toyo 888 -LSS sizes- CA

I have a full set (front AND rear) Toyo 888 for sale, brand new. They have 0 miles on them. Shipped to my house, not yet mounted, as I changed my mind, after I purchased them.

Please take them off my hands. I paid 730$ for all of them. My loss is your gain.

Tires, picked up only in San Diego, California.

Best offer.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
used the transfer pump bought at Auto Zone.

I changed mine with Motul. AFter 15k miles, my tranny oil was still nice and golden. Guess didn't need it changed.

Tranny felt great OEM, and now with Motul still feels great.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
parking is tight- like going downtown.
I live in San Diego, and have put 16k miles on my Elise. I drive it downtown, La Jolla, Fashion Valley, and mission valley. You can see me around. If you are careful parking, it isn't an issue.

I also have 2 miatas. One 92 NA model and a 2004 MSM model. I also have a 2007 S2000.

Out of all the cars, the Elise is my favorite.

Don't listen to Flux. The MR-S is ok, but the REAL MR2 was last sold in USA in 1995.

Don't sell the Miatas short, they are great cars. I am a NA and NB fan, the NC isn't for me.

Good luck.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went through a bunch of exhausts. Here are my quick summary.

Stage2-Incredible drone on the freeway. Really loud. However, down low, nice pops and burbles. Terrible weld quality.

TopSpeed-Arqray copy. VERY similar to Stage 2, cheaper than Stage 2. Great quality.

Larini-ok sound and ok build quality. Great looks if you get the twin exit from each side, europe look.

Arqray single exit-best quality, made in japan. Great looks. VERY quiet on the highway, absolutely no drone. However, on the high rpm, it really wakes up. BEST I HAVE EVER HEARD. Perfect, quiet low, but crazy loud high rpm.

Von Hep-great sound. Low quality. Few have caught on fire. I am sure you can poke around and find the truth about it. Last Lotus Challenge, a certain white NA exige, with new Von Hep, the exhaust caught on fire, and I believe Fred at BWR is working on it now.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Links to back the claims?
Me and my husband linked back our claims with our wallets. We have an Exige S and an Elise, and have gone through all those exhausts with our own money and thus our experiences are noted in the last post.

If you are talking about the Von Hep fire that recently happened, people who went to LCS at the last event could confirm it happend on the white NA Exige, driven by AJ.

thanks Sherry, any idea what that high pitch noise is (is that droning?)

thanks
HI pitch noise could be exhaust leak. Droning is loud constant sound at 4k on the stage 2.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hardtop Cracking

Well I have never taken the HT off my car in 1.5 years of ownership. My husband took the HT off few days ago , and when he took the front cover off, he noticed there were (what looked like stress cracks) on both of the parts that attach to each of the corners where it attaches to the windshield.

I contacted my local dealer, who told me to bring it right away. I will post pics of it tomorrow morning, as the weather is really cloudy.

Dealer said to bring it in right away.

Please check yours, this really scared me:crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes

Hope Dave Simpkin and Lotus takes care of me on this one. Car/HT was purchased at HRM.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Ace. Neither of those threads had any posts about the issue being resolved.

I will post regarding what happens to mine.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have it on mine too. there are 2 cracks on the hardtop where the front two bolts are. i thought i was the only one
Well I have my appt at the dealer tomorrow, at which point he is supposed to take pics of it and send it to Lotus USA.

I will let you know how it plays out.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help Cody. Lotus, like other cars, do they install the squeal thing, where when it makes a noise, you know it is time for new pads?

Also what is the life expectancy of stock OEM pads on freeway/street driven cars?

Lastly, the squeak is there, at first application, when I touch the pedal, and goes away, as I press harder coming to a stop.

Thanks!

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Left the HT at the dealer. They took pics and are showing it to Lotus Usa. Dealer noted, "these cracks are huge, and seem dangerous, never seen anything like this on a HT."

But they further noted, that it isn't usual for owners to look at the underside of the HT.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another SD Lotus owner! You coming out to any "meets" anytime soon or will your "husband" not like that? ;)
My husband has a KG Exige S. I am thinking of coming out to this Sunday's Lotus drive, that you guys have all the time. :cool: See you there, if you come.

Pleasure to meet you John.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes Jmiesse,

My cracks are in the same area. I just dropped it off at the dealer today, who will be in touch with Lotus USA. I will keep posted on my thread whatever happens.

I am pursuing it fully.

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine barely squeaked a little (2006 Elise, 21000 miles), and it was so minor that I ignored it. It was just occasional, and very soft, and not every time I drove it. Once or twice in a week, maybe, and this is my daily driver.

Then it was suddenly a deep horrendous scraping. Just like that.

Have them checked.
:eek::eek::eek:

You just worried me! I now HAVE to get it done. You seem to have gotten 5K more than me :(

Do you recommend bleeding the brakes at the same time as the pads.

I was thinking of the R4-S front and back at the same time. What do you think?

R4-S Street Front Brake Pads by Porterfield for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am shopping for pads tonight, and for the life of me can't decide:(:( My car is only street driven with some mountain roads on the weekend.

I don't want squealing pads, and I want good rotor life.

What pads would you recommend for me?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts