The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Exige now for just over 2 years (my 3rd season with her). I bought her a few years after my divorce and as such had to finance her as I rebuilt my financial life (pretty much let my ex take everything - 93% of our assets). As I have a great job (very stable) and make good money I knew that while it would take me several years to get where I wanted to be that I would get there. Today, almost exactly 5 years after my divorce and 2 years after purchasing my Exige and she's mine. Fully paid for, done. Mine.

:D

Sorry, know this is a total vanity post but I've been looking forward to today for sooooo long that I just had to post. Return to your regularly scheduled LT BS...

-Ross

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But how could she take 93% of your assets?, did you decide to bend over or what?.
Pretty much - it's a very VERY long story. Let's just say that I definitely got the better end of the deal as I got myself back. It was a very dark 7 years in my life that I'm happy to have behind me and at the time (and still now) I didn't give a rats ass about the money. I can make more money but I can't get those 7 years back.

Either way I'm a completely different person now - actually here's an example. Here's me married and me now (I'm about 215 on the left, 155 on the right - got to about 235 at my heaviest). Lost just over 80lbs after my divorce. Couldn't be fat if I was going to be single :)

WeightLoss.jpg

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Seems like you shed two anchors that were dragging you down (ex-wife and weight).
Also, I can't think of a better weight savings program for YOU and your LOTUS.

Congrats,

vincesf

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Congrats Ross!

I've had my Esprit almost 12 years now (since Sept '00), how long will you have your Exige?;)

I actually had to hurry and pay mine off, when my other car was stolen, so I could get another DD.

I was going to see about borrowing an 8x1.25mm tap from you on Sat, but I got her done. Did you buy a set of taps with your tool set?

Oh, and I could probably use your help getting my engine back in one of these days!

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how long will you have your Exige?
Well I hope to own her the rest of my life - can't see why I would ever sell her unless something unexpected comes up. My mandatory expenses are actually really low.

Did you buy a set of taps with your tool set?
Yuppers. At this point if I don't have a tool that I or someone needs I'll go get it. My goal was/is to have every tool I'd ever need.

Oh, and I could probably use your help getting my engine back in one of these days!
Happy to help - you ready now? After the BBQ this weekend I'll have a lot more free time.

Ohh and on the weight thing - it's a Lotus thing - you added lightness
Plack - never thought of it that way - I LOVE IT! I'll have to remember to tell friends that want to lose weight they are actually adding lightness.

My philosophy on weight loss is 2 fold - never eat anything you know you'll regret and no matter what you're eating thin tastes better ;-)

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Congratulations on both, owning the car and the weight loss.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I went from a steady 180lb when single to 220lb after I got married. Wonder if the only way to get back to the feel good weight is a divorce...

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congratulations on both, owning the car and the weight loss.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I went from a steady 180lb when single to 220lb after I got married. Wonder if the only way to get back to the feel good weight is a divorce...
Yup, I was pretty much the same. I was always a bit heavy, about 175 when we met but then through the years of a horribly unhappy marriage I just ate my pain away. I was able to shed the 80lbs in about 10 months through very strict diet (about 1000 calories a day max) and a lot of cycling. Honestly for me it was rather easy - as such I have very little sympathy for heavy people. Eating responsibly and moving a bit (even if not heavy exercise) is just not that hard - at all. Get a salad instead of fries, vinaigrette instead of ranch, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
CONGRADULATIONS!!!! I was in your situation in 2004. Got out of a miserable long term marriage and told myself it as my second chance in life! In fact, my motto was "new life" as indicated by the name of my yacht. I did indeed get a second chance in life and chose to enjoy all the things I gave up to make the ex happy. I lost 40 pounds, started to enjoy all life had to offer, and never looked back! Keep your great attitude going my friend. Enjoy life as it was intended. You have a great outlook on life!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Now that the Lotus is all yours, don't stop behind any SUVs at traffic lights. I've just finished reading the 6000 threads on LT about that.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Yes, and be very glad you didn't purchase the Lotus before the Divorce, otherwise, her boyfriend would be driving it now.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Happy to help - you ready now? After the BBQ this weekend I'll have a lot more free time.
Not ready yet, just ready to re-assemble the engine now. So far have only put an oil feed restrictor from the block to the head, last modification I swear! I should be there at the bbq.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts