The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just over a week ago, she (my '11 Evora S) was transported to the nearest hospital (dealer) on a stretcher (flat-bed tow-truck) some 75 miles away from where she fainted (stalled out), after developing an irregular heart murmur (ticking/slapping sound) that grew louder over the day. The surgeons (technicians) have been authorized to perform invasive diagnosis (engine and trans removal) and should the blood work (transmission/clutch) appear OK, that she be put on a heart transplant list (new engine order) to have her heart replaced (new engine) after its short life thus far (2.5 years, 10k miles).

Translation:

After having the car towed to the dealer following a ticking/slapping sound developing from within the engine, Lotus has authorized the dealer to remove the engine/trans assembly, and if the trans/clutch is OK, that a new engine be ordered. I have no doubt it's the engine as the repetitions of the sound varied with engine speed and not road speed, but it's disheartening to have to go through this, and surprising that such a robust Toyota 3.5L known for its reliability to have given up the ghost in such a short period of time.

Still love the car. Still finding it hard to fault the car. And before anyone starts slamming this as an "Evoras being unreliable" thing and point to this thread when someone is asking for advice on whether to buy an Evora or not, knowing what I know now, I'd still do it all over again.

Or maybe I'm just delusional. Or maybe it's Stockholm Symdrome. :panic:

Stay tuned. I'll update as I know more from the dealer. :popcorn:

On a side note... If this were you, and if you were the "Why not make lemonade" type, what would you ask the dealer to do as mods now that the engine is out anyways? :cool:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Keep us posted, I only know of one other Evora engine failure off the top of my head. Let's just say that one was highly provoked! I'm very curious to hear what Lotus thinks may have caused it, if indeed it's a Toyota block failure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The weird koinkidink is that this will likely be the 2nd engine replacement on an Evora S done by my dealer that I know of. The first one they did had an oil line rupture issue (unrelated to the recalls) and Lotus replaced the engine despite the owner shutting the engine off very quickly, in case the engine suffered damage.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well, oil line failure makes sense. Again, not Toyota engine related, but lubrication component failure will do that to an engine. Still really curious to see what may have trig erred yours, given you had no signs of any kind of oil or coolant leakage.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And no signs of oil loss on mine, either on the ground or a check via dipstick, at the first sign of the noise.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
No single engine is immune from problems, no matter how statistically sound the manufacturer appears to be across the board. A friend of mine had his Lexus IS250 engine grenade in the first year of ownership. All new engine was installed, and he's been fine for five years or so.

·
Lotus Noobie
107 Posts
I hope it all works out for you. Please do keep up posted! Don't let this make you leave the Evora family. I've been going through a set of things with my Evora too but once behind the wheel it's hard to wipe that big smirk and grin off my face :)

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
I had a similar issue with my engine after about 2K.

You will not be able to do much of aftermarket mods to the engine as it will void the warrantee. The only mods Lotus will allow is what they add to their cars and you will have to purchase those parts at a premium from Lotus.

On mine I added an Accusump but I had to pay Lotus $1200 instead of $500 for the same part.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Glad you seem to be keeping a sense of humor about it!

On a side note.....the S wire wheels has for sale had the engine replaced due to a "Ticking" noise. :shrug:

"There are a million ways to put an engine together but only ONE way to do it right." quote from my350z forum discussing how many 'Built' engines fail....

·
Illegal Alien
5,346 Posts

You will not be able to do much of aftermarket mods to the engine as it will void the warrantee. The only mods Lotus will allow is what they add to their cars and you will have to purchase those parts at a premium from Lotus.

On mine I added an Accusump but I had to pay Lotus $1200 instead of $500 for the same part.
You can do whatever mods you wish to afford. And if an aftermarket part may have caused a failure, burden of proof is on car manufacture to proof it caused failure for warranty to be denied.

·
Registered
858 Posts

This is a thread about Evora engines. You are talking about Eliges no?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An update...

A donor heart (new engine) was air lifted from Hethel last week, and has been transplanted into the patient. She remains in ICU for further monitoring (engine installed, car being put back together), but will likely remain in the hospital for the next while.

I had a talk with the service advisor a few weeks back, and their hunch is that the timing chain tensioner or the chain itself failed. I say hunch because they cannot confirmed the diagnosis, as at the request of Lotus UK that the engine not be torn apart and be shipped as-in and intact back to Lotus for further diagnosis and investigation.

The diagnosis was based on the noise that was heard when they had the car on the hoist, and of the experience of the mechanic based on the location and type of noise that was heard. Unfortunately, there'll be no confirmed diagnosis on this failure, unless my dealer is able to successfully follow up with Lotus and get their diagnosis after they have received and have taken apart the engine.

FWIW. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
You can do whatever mods you wish to afford. And if an aftermarket part may have caused a failure, burden of proof is on car manufacture to proof it caused failure for warranty to be denied.
Not according to Lotus UK and local dealers...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts