The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While removing a snapped shift cable today, I noticed a fracture in the shifter's blue plastic ball joint! I didn't see this when I did Stan's shift upgrade this past spring, so it may have developed since then or was hidden by the lube at the time. My shifting is not aggressive by any means and the shift cable snapped last Friday during a normal bump into third. I know the shift cables are a weak point in our Eliges, but this too?!?! :mad:

I'm mixed on what to do. I could leave it, but it would prolly worsen with time. How many of you have noticed this and what was your solution? FYI, I have a round shaft, not the recalled hex shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Leave it until you notice poor shifting. It's a simple mechanism and I can't foresee this condition creating any additional damage. At least that's what I would do.

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the reply. Plan is to remove it, clean it off, fill the fracture with high-stress epoxy, and keep my fingers crossed during shifting! If it was much worse, I'm sure the shift lever could just pop out of the ball. I think that exact scenario was photographed somewhere on this forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts