The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I came from owning an S2000 for a number of years, and this year pulled the trigger on an 06 Exige. One thing i really miss from my S2000 was a shift beeper i installed the first year i got the car.

I find the shift beeper really helped me concentrate on driving vs looking at dash during auto x and such.

has anyone installed a shift beeper on their exige/elise? thoughts?

for reference - here is the unit i had on my S2000. it gave 3 warning beeps while approaching red line, and you could program your red line/when to start beeping etc.... my friends have installed it on their various cars and love them - just looking to see if they lotus group has any experience before i take the plung.

Modifry's Redline Shift Beeper

·
Registered
201 Posts
Takes a while getting used to this car, I find it hard to shift by noise alone. Being that I drive a Lexus Monday - Friday, the lack of sound proofing combined with stage 2 exhaust makes me feel like the car is approaching redline at 4k RPM lol

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
The Lotus is an unusual beast. You are right. When not used to it it seems like you are almost there when just cruising. But then you put the pedal down and there is so much more there! But when driving hard you are running the high rpms so the warning wouldn't be of much use.

·
Registered
905 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But when driving hard you are running the high rpms so the warning wouldn't be of much use.
i am not quite sure what you mean there..... the point of a shift beeper is to identify without looking and without guessing when the correct time to shift is. i want to keep my eyes on the road ahead of me, not glancing down at a tach. so to me, the perfect use for a shift beeper is when you are running the RPMs high.

coming from an s2000 with shorter gearing and FI i can say this.... my s2000 was louder and had a "faster" first and second gear than the exige.... it also had VVT so i am not new to the increased noise from the second cams.

To clarify:

the shift beeper is set to start 800 RPMS below the redline that you preset. you get three beeps at 200 RPM increments and then a final long tone. does it happen quickly in first and second gear? absolutely. Does that make it pointless? not in my opinion Does it also slow down and become a great tool in 3-6 - absolutely.

by the responses i see that no one has any experience with this, or similar products. i will just get it, install it, and make it work :).

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
I have the electronics for one that I intended to install but never did... $25 if you want it, add $6 for shipping. You can email me at the address in my signature.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Has anything new come of this? I also loved my shift beeper in the s2000. Completely programmable. And no it's not just useful for drag racing. If you've never used one you wouldn't know. Perfect shift points when you get used to it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I was happy with a Stewart Warner shift light in my previous track car (a highly modded Miata). Besides the warning itself, I liked the digital rpm display and the peak-recall function. A buzzer has the advantage of a more stealthy installation, but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to hear it with a helmet on. You can't miss a properly aimed shift light (unlike the too-subtle stock shift indicators on my S240 dash). Shift lights (and buzzers) are pretty easy to install, besides power and ground, you just need to tap a tach or ignition signal off the ECU (I haven't looked into this on the Elige, but it shouldn't hard to ID the right wire to tap).

·
Registered
945 Posts
Shift Beeper Installation - Midlands Lotus Owners Club (MLOC)

Found this install on an Elise with the same Modifry beeper. The guy is really happy with it. I'm certain I'll be buying one for the Exige.
There's no "tachometer" wire on the Toyota Elise/Exige. The tach, speedo, fuel, and temp are driven off of the CAN bus instead.

I'm not sure how the Rover Elise worked or what this Modifry unit taps into, but if it calls for a specific "tach" wire it's probably looking for the old-school voltage signal and might not work with the Elise.

It should definitely be possible to make a unit which taps into the Elise's CAN bus and performs the same function. It'll have to tap into the Lotus-specific tach data rather than the OBD stuff for speed/response time reasons, but the format is documented and it's definitely doable.

Modifry makes some awesome S2000 stuff - my friend just installed one of the electromagnet-based seatbelt locks. It's easily one of the most clever hacks I've seen in a long time.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You should be able to tap an ignition (coil trigger) signal from the ECU. But I don't know if the T4 / T4E ECU's are "waste spark" or not; probably not, but if so the circuit will read the rpm as 2x actual, unless the circuit has a setting to account for that. IOW, will most likely work fine tapping a coil trigger signal at the ECU.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
505 Posts
Has anything new come of this? I also loved my shift beeper in the s2000. Completely programmable. And no it's not just useful for drag racing. If you've never used one you wouldn't know. Perfect shift points when you get used to it.
just put a decent exhaust on the car,youll know when to shift ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts