The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has probably been discussed to death someplace on the Forum, but I didn't find much with a search.

A friend has asked me to design a shift knob for him and I wanted to make something cool that wasn't a copy of a knob already made.

So I come here looking for ideas. Have a design in your head that you'd like to see made or have any ideas?

I made a couple trial knobs, these are aluminum, one polished and one machine finish. Very basic...

Added a badge to make it look a bit better...

But I'd still like to do something more. Coating / anodize in colors? Bigger? Smaller?

Any ideas???

·
Registered
563 Posts
I wonder how a black round-ish knob would look with a black/silver Lotus emblem. I bet it would look pretty sweet!

·
Registered
275 Posts
someone on here had a black painted one, was pretty decent... I was thinking about trying some kind of billiard ball or something... My wife had a crystal ball fall off of the bathroom chandelier (perfect size), thought it would be cool to have a crystal ball, but she said no:cool:

·
Registered
146 Posts
The new Ford Gt500 has what I think is the slickest looking shift knob ever.

I personally also like the Type 25 knob as well, but it may be more of an acquired taste.

<Have seen picture but Google isn't producing>

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I was machining some SS shift knobs earlier today. 2.25" and 1.875"

I've had a 2.25 on my car for 3 years. 1.6 lbs

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I wonder how a black round-ish knob would look with a black/silver Lotus emblem. I bet it would look pretty sweet!
I'll give that atry then.

I powdercoated the OEM knob in a flat black for a guy. It looked pretty good, but not that much different from OEM.

A different shape is what I'm really after, not just a different color or engraving of the shift pattern. Maybe a 2 or 3 piece design as well.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Some thing like this on the top

And 3 cuts at the 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 points like below, but thinner.

But keep it round...

If you can knock one out with the lotus shift pattern I'd be interested in getting one myself.. :D

or if you could engrave a gear or sprocket shape like the one below wrapped over the top 1/2 on the curved surface with the shift pattern in it = double :D :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
skull !

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A strait cut pinion gear shape cut in to the top part of the ball would also look nice if you can cut the edges so they don't cut you.

Being as your shifting the transmission a gear type look would fit well...
That's a pretty good idea and could be done easily enough. Not a problem to take away the sharpish edges by buffing a bit.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I like the longacre knob... this with our pattern on it (cut in) would be cool IMO.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
a darth vader helmet as a knob would be awesome

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts