The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some talk about shift knobs and such, so I thought I would gauge interest in a very high end hand made knob. I am talking about a piece made by Auto Aesthetics. I have one installed on my TT and it is outstanding. It's almost like sex in my right hand....wait, that came out wrong. Anyway, it has a very nice feel and weight.

I contacted Raffi, the guy that makes them, to see if he could make a version for the Elise. He said to get started he would need some close up interior shots, the thread pattern of the knob and a close up of the shifter. He wants to get a feel for the interior design so he can integrated the knob into the design flow.

Yes, the pieces are expensive. I think the quality of craftsmanship well justifies the price. Here is a shot of mine.

BTW, Raffi also makes custom pieces. For example my wife has a set of TT fuel cover earrings. He has done key chains, badging and shifter surrounds. If there is a design element of the Elise we would like Raffi to capture in one of his pieces, let’s talk about it here.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Is Goerge from MGWLtd. still here? He was on the list to get an Elise.

his company makes some nice billet aluminum parts.

http://www.mgwltd.com/

The shift knobs were very popular on Vettes.

Greg

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Momo Shift Knobs

Noted that an official Momo Retail
Distributor - www.imotorgear.com -
did list some shift knobs that are for
'lift-up' Reverse gear shifts, which is
what we have on the Elise. Am trying to
ascertain if the below listed 'part leather/part aluminum' one would work?
SKU: Aluair-R-Shift Knob
Momo - Race Airleather Reverse Style
Aluminum Leather - $77.16
P.S. - They also had a carbon/aluminum
version, also at $77.16, as well as about
5 other styles that are 'Reverse' type.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Is Goerge from MGWLtd. still here? He was on the list to get an Elise.

his company makes some nice billet aluminum parts.

http://www.mgwltd.com/

The shift knobs were very popular on Vettes.

Greg
George is a buddy of mine.. :) I believe he has had 2 Elises and 4 Exiges, but currently does not own a lotus product. Last I heard he traded his last Exige on a Viper.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Holy thread resurrection!

Call me crazy, but I think the stock shifter knob is absolutely perfect. I think if I had something else, I'd be trying to get made what we have. lol.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My knob is an old Elan knob (early Elan teardrop) that I drilled and tapped.I also have a nice blue aluminum knob that I haven't installed yet.

·
Registered
274 Posts

Call me crazy, but I think the stock shifter knob is absolutely perfect. I think if I had something else, I'd be trying to get made what we have. lol.
I am planning on putting some red paint in the numbers and such and going with that for a bit, but I am itching to look at stuff as I am not in the seat driving yet and I'm going a bit crazy.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Hi Crazy... :wave:

I agree 100%. I paid the big bucks to get a nice aluminum ball shift knob for my Miata years before I got the Elise. I was very happy that the Elise has the nice, perfect sized, aluminum ball for a shift knob. Perfect.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well I'm glad you two are so happy together.
I'm not so keen. I tried one of those Lotus knobs with the decal insert, which fell off and left a sticky trace, so I'm back to the original. I'd really like something much slimmer - like a slightly shorter version of the Handbrake handle.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
first thing i did was get a new knob. i found on on ebay, black pool ball almost with the lotus logo in top. several have told me its to big. i think the stock one is to small. im more then happy with mine. i ll take a pic and post in a bit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i just did the re-enforcer mod and the bollock shift knob. worth the $100 IMHO. the reenforce mod makes the whole thing more solid and once you have the nice solid base the added weight of the bollock is a nice addition. it is a LOT heavier than the stock knob. now that i did the re-enforce the stock shifters feel flimsy to me.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hey... Is this the post where I get to talk about my Knob with out being
booted of the forum?:coolnana:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hey... Is this the post where I get to talk about my Knob with out being
booted of the forum?:coolnana:
Yup :)
I thought that the original knob is a bit too big, and I like a more teardrop shaped knob. The only problem with my current one is that it has no detent for the lift ring and rides a little high on the shifter.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I just bought the Lotus leather shift knob with Lotus logo.

As far as looks, it's a lot better. Only problem is that it's two pieces that make up the ball, so if it's not screwed on tight enough, might be a little flimsy.

I am buying the Sector111 "bollock" off of a member here to try that. Can't have too many shift knobs, I say!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
That's it Mike, the more knobs the merrier.:D

·
Registered
948 Posts
I just bought the Lotus leather shift knob with Lotus logo.

As far as looks, it's a lot better. Only problem is that it's two pieces that make up the ball, so if it's not screwed on tight enough, might be a little flimsy.

I am buying the Sector111 "bollock" off of a member here to try that. Can't have too many shift knobs, I say!
Do you have a picture from the Lotus Shift Knob leather+aluminum+lotus Logo ??? The one on the lotus website is very poor quality. Cant see if I like it or not ?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
i just did the re-enforcer mod and the bollock shift knob. worth the $100 IMHO. the reenforce mod makes the whole thing more solid and once you have the nice solid base the added weight of the bollock is a nice addition. it is a LOT heavier than the stock knob. now that i did the re-enforce the stock shifters feel flimsy to me.
will be doing that same set up soon, glad yours worked out well

·
Registered
274 Posts

Worth quoting again.

Now that I have had some seat time they are near perfect. I definately want to get some red in the grooves, but likely I will not be bothering to replace mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts