The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not feelin' it with the stock shift knob on my 83... any recommendations?

thanks..

I've got a momo champion wheel.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
Type 82's Esprit had a skull shift knob on it when he bought it. :facepalm

Give him a PM and see if he wants to part with it. You'll be the envy of everyone at the car show. :p rotfl

BTW, how are your seats coming along?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Type 82's Esprit had a skull shift knob on it when he bought it. :facepalm

Give him a PM and see if he wants to part with it. You'll be the envy of everyone at the car show. :p rotfl

BTW, how are your seats coming along?
I'll skip the skull, thanks. Seats are taking a 'back' seat for now. I'll get them re-done in the spring. Sparcos I had didn't fit...

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
BTW, just to confirm, you have the OE wooden knob (classic British, you know!) with the shift pattern on it?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
Is that an original leather shift boot? It looks a LOT better if it is not all scrunched down.

Pics of mine (yes, I know Stevens and G cars had different "texture" of the leather):

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
The Esprit FS that you pointed out on Ebay has a different knob, not original:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Whoever posted the interior photo with the leather treatment product, it looks incredible BTW. If my interior was anywhere close to that I'd of kept it, unfortunately it was extremely neglected though.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you want to make the leather nice try the leatherique line of products. They have stuff called rejuvinator that can make leather that feels like cardboard new and supple. They also have crack filler and dyes to make it look as good as it can feel. Their website has a LOT of good info on leather care and they are very helpful over the phone, leatherique.com
No, I am not a paid endorser, just a user that was very impressed with the products. As for the shift knob, get a pair of driving gloves, maybe that can help and it will keep the interior cleaner.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
175 Posts
r.d. enterprises ltd. Home Page

Stocks original shift knobs. You can get the green and yellow logo, or the black and silver logo in the center.

JAE might also stock them, but a few years ago when I was looking to replace mine JAE was out of stock and Jeff sent me here...

Cameron

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
So instead of a stickshift that's a dickshift?

San

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
Whoever posted the interior photo with the leather treatment product, it looks incredible BTW. .
Thanks, Mark, that's my '88 Esprit. :cool: The picture was from an article I wrote for Lotus Ltd.

Sadly, I don't think Connolly Hide Food is available anymore. Too bad, because it made my hands really soft and moisturized. :D I'm using Saddle Soap now, purchased at Tractor Supply Company.

Newer Esprits (from ~ S4 era?) had a different type of leather (coated) and it just wasn't the same as geniune Connolly.

Connolly Leather - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, I second David's endorsement of Leatherique products...great stuff.

PS, That "d*ckshift" is just....WRONG. -eek-

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,090 Posts
Connolly's is still available. It's now called "Hide Care". SNIP

Good to know...Thanks.

The last time I ran out, none of the Brit Car sources had it.

The Saddle Soap works OK, but it doesn't have the "white spirit" that helped the Connolly product penetrate leather.

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts
Good to know...Thanks.

The last time I ran out, none of the Brit Car sources had it.

The Saddle Soap works OK, but it doesn't have the "white spirit" that helped the Connolly product penetrate leather.
An Amazon review laments the the hide food is now a lanolin-based product, not the white spirit formula of old.

The implication is it is not as good or differentiated from current non-Connolly leather care products.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts