The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shifting through all the gears there seems to be a slight lag. I would like to know if anyone has this problem?? I was guessing it was the clutch as I let most of my friends use my car... but then I remembered that it was just about the same when I first received the car. I tried switching off the traction control but there was the same effect. Help?:(

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Were you used to driving an S2000 or a Miata prior to the Lotus? They have the best production car shifting of all, and if you're spoiled to them, your expectations are just too high.

For upshifts, your throttle pedal should come up as your clutch pedal goes down. This lets the engine wind back down and reduces the work required by the synchros.

For downshifts, you'll need to read about and then practice rev matching and heal/tow shifting.

It has been reported many times that swapping out the transmission oil for Redline MT90 helps to improve the shifting feel.

xtn

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changed the engine mounts to track mounts, added the gear enforcer and still there is a lag at high rpms... the clutch seems to be OK but i just ordered a new but i doubt it will help.

Anyone fine a way to resolve this?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I doubt a new clutch will help at all.

It just takes a bit for the synchros in the transmission to do their job.

xtn

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...you're always going to experience a slight delay as the synchro matches transmission revs between your axle and flywheel - that's the case with any modern street car, and some do so more transparently than others, but the alternative racing gearbox is very difficult to drive outside its native environment...

...as noted above, careful rev-matching can help the synchro to do its job considerably more quickly...

...does the 2-eleven have a different transmission from the elise/exige?..i honestly don't know, but if it doesn't, there shouldn't be a significant difference between the shifter feel in either car...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I just put Redline MT90 in my transmission. Made a nice difference, not huge. After 15500 or so miles, the original oil was smelly and had some metal filings in it. The synchros were noisy too. Now they are quieter, shifting is easier. Worth the effort.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Changed the engine mounts to track mounts, added the gear enforcer and still there is a lag at high rpms... the clutch seems to be OK but i just ordered a new but i doubt it will help.

Anyone fine a way to resolve this?
If this is a 2008 240, they have the "restrictor" in the clutch line which keeps the clutch from engaging too harshly. I don't know if anyone has removed this on the Lotus but on other brands with this "control valve" it is first order to remove or disable it by the more spirited drivers. It will eventually fry the clutch if it causes too much slippage.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
In my s240 I get a shift lag also...at first it felt like the rubber pad on the bottom of the clutch peddle was sticking but realized it was just that kind of feeling from the delay of engagement. Kinda sucks.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Exige-S 240
1,376 Posts
If this is a 2008 240, they have the "restrictor" in the clutch line which keeps the clutch from engaging too harshly...
My M3 has it too. Most likely new to the Exige to help reduce the harshness of the launch control?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I also recommend the clutch pedal elevated stop modification. The throw of the clutch pedal is much longer than it needs to be compared to where the engagement point is. Once I put the stop under the petal, the clutch operation was a lot more predictable.

I used the version of the modification that replaces the bolt on the wall in front of the clutch pedal with a longer one and a nut to set the bolt standoff while still having the bolt perform its orginal function of holding a bracket in place. It is posted somewhere at this forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts