The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So out of pure boredom I ordered a leather center console and decided to spice it up with the brushed aluminum kit. Looked great in pictures, but when I actually got to put it in, I realized that quality is at about 30% of where it should be.

The good - parking brake handle - looks nice, 30-second install.

Now the rest - the shift plate was CNC'd by an 8-year old. The engraved numbers are not uniform. Some are engraved pretty deep, others are almost barely scratched on the surface.

And the biggest beef - the size of the opening in the plate is way off. Putting in reverse hits the edge, putting in 5,6 hits another side. Would be just annoying to see the console move every time you shift because the lever hits the stupid plate, but to add injury to insult - the edges of the plate are sharp, so it cuts through the shift boot after a couple of shifts.

To add to the fun I can't align the lotus logo on the knob. If the knob is tight, then logo is sideways. If the logo is straight, the knob is not tight. But that'll be fixed with a drop of loctite.

Anyway, just felt like I had to vent. $200 kit and such a disappointment.

I searched around and found one post about a guy having to grind down that plate, but nobody else seems to complain. Odd.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Have you tried complaining to the vendor yet?

If so, and they sucked, give us their name.
If not, why not?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vendor's been great, but they don't make the kit. They can take it back and return my money, but the console is already drilled for the mounting bolts.

I'm going to spend time and grind out the plate and make it work.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Now the rest - the shift plate was CNC'd by an 8-year old. The engraved numbers are not uniform. Some are engraved pretty deep, others are almost barely scratched on the surface.
The difference between an "operator" and a "machinist."
;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Lotus does take "hand-built" to the next level.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great. I'll send you mine to do, too.
Heh. By the time I'm done I'll have some metal work experience. The micromirror that I got was way off, too. I'm almost sure I got one made for an '07 MY, even though the vendor doublechecked and said that he shipped one for the '05. Otherwise there would've been posts about it not fitting.

Does this look like it's supposed to fit?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
That was my experience. I finally gave up. I went as far as taking out the rigid rim of the shift boot and gluing it under the aluminum plate for a better fit. It was better but not perfect.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
mine came new in package with the car I bought, PO never installed.

I never unwrapped, sold immediately for $100.

The best part was the brake handle. Was tempted to hang onto that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, let this thread be a warning to those who do not want to waste 3 hours with a metal file. I'll post my progress here if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
This whole shebang sounds like something that adds weight anyway. Hmmm... think I'll go take my center console out. No, not to work on it; just to take it out. Think that rear bulkhead plastic needs to go also.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I filled in the colors and lettering on my mine and it will become wall art for the garage.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's what came out of it. With proper tools (10" bastard cut rounded metal file) it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Took about 30 minutes with finishing.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
you know... in the end - that does look pretty sweet there dude!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I had to do the same thing, I used a Dremel and a Carbide cutting bit and then cleaned it up with a file. Mine looked very similar to yours when i was finished and I wondered how they could have even marketed this thing since it obviously did NOT work as is......but it did look good when I finished:

·
Registered
933 Posts
I had to do the same thing, I used a Dremel and a Carbide cutting bit and then cleaned it up with a file. Mine looked very similar to yours when i was finished and I wondered how they could have even marketed this thing since it obviously did NOT work as is......but it did look good when I finished:

Kinda like the door sill protectors they sell. Never could figure out how they fit on the Elise.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Just wait until your driving on a hot humid day and the sticker on the shift knob comes off in your palm.

I also got taken by this one. Kept the hand break though.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i dont like it, looks like an after thought, as in, its just kinda sitting on top of the console..

if it were flush or filled the whole top or even made a full aluminum console?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wait until your driving on a hot humid day and the sticker on the shift knob comes off in your palm.

I also got taken by this one. Kept the hand break though.
I tried to peel off the logo to reposition it after tightening the knob - didn't have much luck with it. But if it does come off, I'll just put a black circle of flat balck vinyl there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts