The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm sure this is a common thing with our cable-driven shifters so surely there must be others that have worked out improvements. Are there improvement kits to be had for improving the shifter action? I have an '02 V8 which is supposed to be a bit improved over earlier setups, but the feel is somewhat reminiscient of the handle of a spoon stuck in a bowl of mashed potatoes. I almost missed a shift at the track again earlier this week and fortunately caught it as I was letting the clutch out to avoid blowing the engine to bits.

So are there proven improvements that make the shifter action a little more positive?

Knut

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
The earlier cars (pre'98) had a translater which the motion had to go through. More parts and potentially more play. The newer set-up is more direct, less parts. Do two things first. One, make sure there is no play or looseness from worn parts. Second make sure it is all adjusted right. A 1/2 turn can make all the difference. Finally, you can lubricate the cables. Disconnect the end on the transmission and slip a piece of hose over the end. Clamp it with a hose clamp and fill it with oil. Connect an air hose and blast the oil into the cable. One final thought. These are push-pull cables. When they are going bad they will loose a lot of motion inside the cable as the inner cable is going bad. Think "Pushing on a rope". They lose their stiffness. A new set of cables my be necessary.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
860 Posts
does anyone have a DIY for how to remove the gear shifter from the car..... not just the selector stick.

It seems that I need to remove the center console with the radio and AC to be able to get to the 4 bolts that hold the shifter into the chassis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts