The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this just started last weekend or I just now noticed it. When I shift into first and let go of the shifter it moves back over to the center. Sometimes smoothly and a couple times with a little more of a jump. Again I may not have noticed the play before. Thoughts...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I have a background in tech support. From experience I can tell you that better questions get better, faster answers. Let me help you.

1. Which car and MY do you have?
2. How many miles?
3. Any mods/aftermarket parts on the car?
4. Does this happen when the engine is off? Does it happen at a particular speed?
5. Does it ever pop out of gear without use of the clutch?

That should get us started...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'd start with guessing that the shifter cables are binding....

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
'07 Exige, 3500 miles, stock:

Does not pop out of gear. shift into first gear and it just moves over towards center as soon as I let go of the lever. Not sure if this is just normal or natural movement towards center.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
If it's not popping out of gear and is otherwise not irritating (eg vibrating), I wouldn't worry about it. I'll check mine later and let you know the extent of the movement of the shifter when in 1st gear.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
'07 Exige, 3500 miles, stock:

Does not pop out of gear. shift into first gear and it just moves over towards center as soon as I let go of the lever. Not sure if this is just normal or natural movement towards center.
Andy, not slipping out of gear.
I remember quite a lot of play in the shifter before adding "Stan's shifter mod"... now it doesn't move at all.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be great to have a comparison. Thanks!

If it's not popping out of gear and is otherwise not irritating (eg vibrating), I wouldn't worry about it. I'll check mine later and let you know the extent of the movement of the shifter when in 1st gear.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you had a chance to check the shifter?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts