The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to remove the shifter assembly on a 02? What trim pieces have to come off and in what order do they come off?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Do you have the service notes?

I can take a pic of the page if it would help.

I think its the same as my 94.

1.) trim piece pulls up - velcro maybe?
2.) 4 screws hold cover - this pulls up with shifter leather bag thing - untie string so it slips over shift knob
3.) remove the screws that hold the rubber boot over the shifter.
4) remove pinch bolt - gently open pinch piece just a tad and it slides out.

There might be another step in there I am forgetting.

Note the shift knob does not really come off - friction fit. Avoid removing if possible.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taken apart a 93 before and it's made different from the 2002.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's a bit different on the revised interior cars. This is from foggy memory, but should be more-or-less correct:

- Mask anything around your console that you don't want to beat up with tools.
- Remove the two phillips screws holding on the fuel release / touch key / brightness cover on the console
- Remove cover (slotted at one end)
- Remove the electrical guts and wiring from underneath (easy, self explanatory when you see it)
- Lift the cover that holds the leather shifter boot
- Once inside out, you can loosen the tie and remove it if you want
- Remove the screws holding the circular rubber noise isolation boot in place (this step is not strictly necessary, but it's easy, as I recall)

The next section is tight work, but it can be done:

- remove the 10 (?) bolts that are along the perimeter of the metal mounting plate. Some of these are close-quarters because they are near the console, but you can take them out patiently with an open-end wrench.
- After that metal closing plate is gone, you will see 4 nyloc nuts with noise isolators under them. Remove those and lift the shifter assembly out. It is not necessary to remove the two bolts holding the reverse lockout in place.
- After lifting the shifter out, the two remote shift cables will need to be removed before you can take it away to your work bench.

Good luck!

Jake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts