The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up car from Sports Car World today after having master and slave rebuilt.
Something I would normally do but A. Don't have time and B. Lotus position does not agree with a couple of herniated discs in my neck.

They said I need to also get new bushings and what not for the shifter itself (I already did the upgraded translator bearings and such).

Looking at
Esprit Gearshift

It seems the bushings and such are not available?

Suggestions? What all parts do I need to get?

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,088 Posts
Found my own answer, parts ordered from JAE

And! JAE was only $95.00 versus 150 BRITISH POUNDS from the UK! WOOT!

:clap: :clap: :clap: For JAE! They are know for having parts fabricated if OE stuff is NLA. :up:

They also sell to the other Lotus Parts Suspects, and help us keep the cars on the road.

·
Registered
78 Posts
SHIFTER BUSHING

I DID MINE IN MY GARAGE BUT ONE THING I HAD TO DO WAS TO BORE OUT THE BRASS OR COPPER BUSHING TO MAKE IT FIT ONTO THE ROD.THE NEW WILL NOT FIT.I ALSO HAD TO DRILL SOME HOLE THROUGH THE FIBERGLASS TO GET TO THE SCREW THAT HOLD THE PLATE THAT SUPPORT THE BOOT.SHIFTING IS MUCH BETTER.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I DID MINE IN MY GARAGE BUT ONE THING I HAD TO DO WAS TO BORE OUT THE BRASS OR COPPER BUSHING TO MAKE IT FIT ONTO THE ROD.THE NEW WILL NOT FIT.I ALSO HAD TO DRILL SOME HOLE THROUGH THE FIBERGLASS TO GET TO THE SCREW THAT HOLD THE PLATE THAT SUPPORT THE BOOT.SHIFTING IS MUCH BETTER.
How difficult was it removing the shifter parts to then install the kit? The shop said it was like crazy difficult to get out..?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

HOLY ****BATMAN!!!

Had them adjust the pedal, slave, rebuild the master and adjust the pedal.

Ended up the PO's mechanic had rebuilt the master BUT.. did not do correctly and it had a slight (and I mean SLIGHT) leak AND when they put it back in they put it on top of the bracket adjacent and thus it was pushed forward by that thickness.

I have had my Esprit 19 months and it has NEVER EVER EVER shifted so nicely! Like a new car! WOO HOO!

Just in time to take to Eureka Springs Thursday for a 4 day anniversary weekend with the wife unit!

Below is part of the route..

Attachments

·
1991 Esprit SE
46 Posts
Glad to hear it's working well and thanks for the tip about JAE. Pretty sure I'll do business with them often in the future.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nobody on the shifter bushings difficulty or lac thereof?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did mine over the winter. The shifter is not difficult. You're working with interior stuff so care must be taken. Lotus made the shifter assemble way more complex than it had to be. But it is just nuts and bolts. Take pictures on the way in so you know the way out. The shifter comes out easily once the cables are disconnected at the translator. I pulled the trunk out as my old hands just could not make it into the small space where the translator lives. Its a major improvement. Not the electric switch of an Elan but good for cables and way better than a Europa on a good day.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've done several of these, including replacing the cables and translator. Getting the shifter unit out of the car can be a tight squeeze - once you get the console out you may have to do some very slight trimming to get the shifter unit free and clear. Replacing the various bushings in the shifter unit itself is not at all difficult. Just document your work, take your time, Take a close look at the cable ends where they articulate with the shifter "dogs" (legs). You will see they are bent 90 degrees in a sort of loop. Although not common it is not unknown for the cable end to fracture where the bend is - if you see a crack it is a good idea to replace the cable itself.

One other thing to consider (if you haven't already done this) is a rebuild of the translator. There are bearings in the translator housing and given its position on the car it sees a lot of weather and road dirt. The rebuild is pretty simple and the bearing kit is pretty cheap. I bought some sets from PNM Engineering in the UK and I am sure JAE, Bean, or RD can also supply those parts.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! To Tom, I did the translator upgrade, bought from PNM, a few months ago.

Today I am just happy it slides right into all gears, even reverse without having to first put in 1st or 2nd!

·
Cal H
982 Posts
How difficult was it removing the shifter parts to then install the kit? The shop said it was like crazy difficult to get out..?
I only was present once when the shifter was removed. It was fairly easy once the body was detached and ratcheted up to garage rafters by straps. LOL.

From what I was told they drop the body on after the shifter is already in place. I think one of the other guys had to grind out the opening a little larger to access it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, got the:

Part #: F-4208-082-KIT
Gearshift Repair Kit '89-'97

From JAE today.
He include the scanned image with diagram on it.

I am confused as they the parts sent have more than what is listed on the diagram he sent and is also same one as I have found online..

Examples:

1. Diagram shows ONE of the rubber "Isolator Bush S082F6590S" but I was shipped TWO of them.

2. Diagram shows ONE of the brass "Isolator Bush S082F6590S" but I was shipped TWO of them.

There are others as well. I am guessing the part at upper right of diagram also uses same parts in the mirror part toward middle left where it show s the "Lever Bush" going in?

I was also thought the "REverse baulk block" was part of this kit, anyone know on this? One was not included...

THANKS!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts