The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 RGB Exige
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Exige RGB. I’ll skip the bulk of the background but today I think the shifter cable broke and maybe the ball. My car loves me as it did this while in the garage. I’ve just started removing the under panels. Before I go too far, I have a few questions:

- I have moderate mechanical ability. Can I do whatever I end out doing on my own or do a need a more serious mechanic?

- within reason, I don’t care about the $$. Other than replacing the cables and maybe the ball, are there other things I should do? Does the LETSLA upgrade do anything on my car? What are the best cables? Is there a different set up for the shifter ball?

- I could probably talk myself into the exposed shift mechanism IF they work well. Who makes them now, which (if more than one manufacture) is the best? Are they generally available? Are they an improvement or at least no worse?

and apologies up front. Yes, I will google and research everything but this just happened so I’m hoping to shorten the learning process here as I want to get the car back on the road ASAP.

THANKS,

Scott

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
1,369 Posts
Well, shifter cable OR the ball? Chances of both breaking are slim to none. I think take the shifter stuff off and look at the ball. If all that looks OK, Get someone to watch the cables at the transmission and move the shifter and see what isn't moving with it.

·
Less is Better
3,332 Posts
Agreed with @Dr.Hess on first diagnosing the problem. Look under the shift console and over the transmission and see what's broken.

I've had SSC and Inokinetic shift cables. Both are excellent quality. The SSC cables have a heat shield around the transmission, the Inokinetic cables don't. Otherwise I couldn't tell a difference in quality or function. I've also had both the Inokinetic ShiftR111 and the Dolomiti shifter. Here again, both are excellent. Very high quality and comparable in results. The biggest differences are the ability to adjust the shift throws and the stock lever angle of the Dolomiti. The LETSLA is also an excellent quality part. It is a clear upgrade from the stock part.

But to be honest I found that if your finding that you are happy with the way the car shifts (and isn't broken, in your case) the improvements in any of these parts is minimal. My car has only about 10,000 miles on it and the upgrades, while higher quality and longer lasting, only made a really minimal improvement over stock.

·
Registered
2011 RGB Exige
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, shifter cable OR the ball? Chances of both breaking are slim to none. I think take the shifter stuff off and look at the ball. If all that looks OK, Get someone to watch the cables at the transmission and move the shifter and see what isn't moving with it.
Thanks - I'm getting that same comment from others as well. I'm hoping to pull that console later today. My guess that if I'm lucky, that's what it is!

·
Registered
2011 RGB Exige
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed with @Dr.Hess on first diagnosing the problem. Look under the shift console and over the transmission and see what's broken.

I've had SSC and Inokinetic shift cables. Both are excellent quality. The SSC cables have a heat shield around the transmission, the Inokinetic cables don't. Otherwise I couldn't tell a difference in quality or function. I've also had both the Inokinetic ShiftR111 and the Dolomiti shifter. Here again, both are excellent. Very high quality and comparable in results. The biggest differences are the ability to adjust the shift throws and the stock lever angle of the Dolomiti. The LETSLA is also an excellent quality part. It is a clear upgrade from the stock part.

But to be honest I found that if your finding that you are happy with the way the car shifts (and isn't broken, in your case) the improvements in any of these parts is minimal. My car has only about 10,000 miles on it and the upgrades, while higher quality and longer lasting, only made a really minimal improvement over stock.
Thanks. That's good feedback. Other than the typical difficulty to shift into 3rd when cold, I've never had any issues with the feel of the shifting of the car. It's no Elan but it's fine, especially because used to it and don't track the car. Net, if I can replace the ball and be done, I will.

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
Thanks. That's good feedback. Other than the typical difficulty to shift into 3rd when cold, I've never had any issues with the feel of the shifting of the car. It's no Elan but it's fine, especially because used to it and don't track the car. Net, if I can replace the ball and be done, I will.
Only problem is you can't get the part. Check to see if it's the blue ball broken if so get a WTB up for it maybe a member has one from an upgrade they would be willing to sell. Your other option is one of the shifter upgrades.

·
2006 Exige
1,386 Posts
This is a very honest assessment that is hard for many people to give after spending hundreds (thousands) on upgrades. This post will save people money.

I personally have driven ~10 various Elise/Exiges and the best shifting ones all had the SSC or Inokintetic shift cables. Could be a coincidence. I think "stan's mod" and inserts in the rear motor mount really help. Both are almost free to do. I'll upgrade to Inokinetic when mine start to show wear, but for now my car shifts fine.

·
Less is Better
3,332 Posts
This is a very honest assessment that is hard for many people to give after spending hundreds (thousands) on upgrades. This post will save people money.

I personally have driven ~10 various Elise/Exiges and the best shifting ones all had the SSC or Inokintetic shift cables. Could be a coincidence. I think "stan's mod" and inserts in the rear motor mount really help. Both are almost free to do. I'll upgrade to Inokinetic when mine start to show wear, but for now my car shifts fine.
In my little adventure of replacing everything, twice, I did find some free play here and there. The stock shifter's joints are fairly tight but the base flexes a lot, even with Stan's mod. The lever mechanism at the transmission has a little looseness and play in the joints in directions that it shouldn't. The cable ends at both the transmission (with the simple post and hole interface) and shifter (with the plastic pop-on cups) are about as basic and inexpensive as possible and I'm sure contribute to some sloppiness as well. But like I said, a stock system is really pretty close to as good as it gets as long as it's been treated gently. I suspect the worst offender to poor shift quality is the shift cable sheath coming apart with heavy use (abuse?).

·
Supporting Vendor
4,613 Posts
Confirm what is broken. The later cars received improved cables but we've seen them break as well. Inspect how the cables were routed as this can also cause problems. See our Blog: HERE

Lotus is selling just the blue plastic pivot portion. If the thought of replacing it again in the future is not appealing then our shiftR111 makes sense.

Regardless, we are a phone call away and here to help with installation.

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
Confirm what is broken. The later cars received improved cables but we've seen them break as well. Inspect how the cables were routed as this can also cause problems. See our Blog: HERE

Lotus is selling just the blue plastic pivot portion. If the thought of replacing it again in the future is not appealing then our shiftR111 makes sense.

Unless stock has changed in the last week they were sold out in US when several members needed them. Frantic WTB got them their part will on the road from Fl to CA. That is what spurred so much interest and now forward progress with making replacement parts by members.

·
Registered
2011 RGB Exige
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tha

Thanks Shinoo.

Thanks Shinoo. I can confirm the ball is broken and it appears to me that the shift lever is broken as well. I’ll take some pics and email.

·
Registered
2011 RGB Exige
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tha

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Tha

Thanks Shinoo.

Thanks Shinoo. I can confirm the ball is broken and it appears to me that the shift lever is broken as well. I’ll take some pics and email.
On my 2009 Elise the blue ball and the shifter broke back in the Fall of 2021. I could not purchase just that part. I had to buy the shifter + cables for about $900 US. At that point in time there was only one such part available in North America.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts