The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

While installing the LETSLA kit, I noticed a problem with my shift cable, at the transmission end. The black plastic sheath is no longer attached to the cable housing. This means that when the shift lever is pulled toward the rear of the car, the plastic sheath moves with the cable end, and some cable becomes exposed. This cable is free to bend, so it doesn't push on the L-bracket properly.

I don't *think* the plastic sheath is broken, as it still has a fat end on it (which I presume should be in the housing).

Has anyone had this happen? I have a temporary fix on there right now, consisting of a zip-tie pulling the sheat toward the housing. Clearly this is not a permanent solution.

Josh
2005 Elise Mag Blue

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Don,

The black plastic cable sleeve. Not the rubber bellows.

I'll try to take a picture tonight, or at least draw a better diagram.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
495 Posts
Mine was also like that. I simply cut the fractured area so that the ends of the two pieces were were at a 90 deg to each other; then I put the LETSLA aluminum shroud over them. The hose clamp on the LETSLA part squeezed the two parts, thus holding them in place. A minor cable length adjustment was necessary to maintain shifting performance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Shift Cables

Hi Don,

The black plastic cable sleeve. Not the rubber bellows.

I'll try to take a picture tonight, or at least draw a better diagram.

Thanks,
Josh
Josh, I'm clear on your issue ...
Many cars are running around with the bellows dislodged, I just refit and cable tie to help retain them.
Your cable sleeve issue may very soon lead to a cable end failure as the threaded rod end-cable swage interface will fail if the cable deforms (kinks).
As you can see the black plastic sleeve has a ball end shape retained
in the cable housing by mechanical deformation of the housing end.
I have found conductive heat from the transaxle and engine bay can allow the sleeve to soften and then dislodge from the housing, cable end failure can occur.
On the track cars I set up, I use hi-temp hose shield sleeve and foil wrap.
Many times heat can also deform the cable inner sleeve leading to binding
of the cable, the cable end @ the shifter can then fail.
Long story short .... cable R+R.
All the best, Don.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts