The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can you take a picture slightly further out so I can understand where to look? Is this viewed from the top or bottom? What model do you have N/A, S, 4xx?

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
384 Posts
Adjusting the gear throw cable won't do much aside from bringing the center position of the lever slightly forward or backward, but the fine-tuning the crossgate cable helps. When you push the lever left against the reverse lockout, that should be dead in the middle of the 1st/2nd, and when the lever is at rest, that should be dead in the middle of 3rd/4th.

Cables... when moving the lever left/right, the crossgate cable should spring smoothly and quickly back to center.. the only resistance should be moving it towards 1st or 5th. If you feel any stickiness moving it back to center, your cables should be replaced.. (usually this is just you guys with 2010/11 cars.. we haven't seen any 2012+cars with cable issues in the shop). Shifting with sticky cables stresses and breaks the lever inside the blue ball, or cracks the ball.. If you're in doubt as to whether it's the cables or the lever that's giving you resistance, you can open up your center console and pop the cables off of the shifter mechanism using a screwdriver as a lever. Use a pair of fairly wide jaw pliers to squeeze them back on. You should be able to push and pull both of them without any resistance. (the lever and pliers only apply to the early cables.. the later cables have a clip around the base of the ball that you pull loose to remove)

FWIW, Dave Simkin at Lotus recommends not putting the low-friction 2012-2014 cables in a 2010/11 car. The early cars aren't vented the same way, and the cables get more heat.. which will deteriorate the newer cables quicker. We've got a 2010 car coming into the shop later this week getting some of Inokinetic's cables, which look great. Time will tell on longevity!

Reactions: ByJoveByJingle

·
Registered
824 Posts
FWIW, Dave Simkin at Lotus recommends not putting the low-friction 2012-2014 cables in a 2010/11 car. The early cars aren't vented the same way, and the cables get more heat..
Any more information on this? First time I've heard of any sort of differences in venting. What's vented differently?

·
Registered
597 Posts
FWIW, Dave Simkin at Lotus recommends not putting the low-friction 2012-2014 cables in a 2010/11 car. The early cars aren't vented the same way, and the cables get more heat.. which will deteriorate the newer cables quicker.
Not knocking Mr Simkin, whom I don't know at all, but this is bunk. I've been running 2012 cables on a 2011 for four years and ~20k miles. And in any case there's no material difference in airflow that would make a difference to the cables among those model years.

Just my opinion.

Card0, I don't see any reason why the position of the sheath would matter, as long as it's not kinked, pinched, or pulled through too tight a radius. It is important that the cables are adjusted so that there's no slop, i.e. so that moving the lever in the cabin immediately moves the lever on the trans, but that should be obvious and is probably not the question you were asking. Derek's pointers are good, if you really want to get in there with the cables. You're only going to get so much performance out of the early (grey) cables, though -- they're just not quite up to it. Again, just my opinion.

·
Illegal Alien
5,145 Posts
Not knocking Mr Simkin, whom I don't know at all, but this is bunk. I've been running 2012 cables on a 2011 for four years and ~20k miles. And in any case there's no material difference in airflow that would make a difference to the cables among those model years.

Just my opinion.

Card0, I don't see any reason why the position of the sheath would matter, as long as it's not kinked, pinched, or pulled through too tight a radius. It is important that the cables are adjusted so that there's no slop, i.e. so that moving the lever in the cabin immediately moves the lever on the trans, but that should be obvious and is probably not the question you were asking. Derek's pointers are good, if you really want to get in there with the cables. You're only going to get so much performance out of the early (grey) cables, though -- they're just not quite up to it. Again, just my opinion.
Well as David Simon is head of service Lotus USA I do respect his opinion, however reviewing parts lists between the cars all I see is that the under tray was changed in '12 and is later made common to n/a, sc and ISP, this is the tray with the increased venting scope under the trans... later increased again on the Series 2 cars or offered as a Series 1 mod by BOE.

02 Undertray Assembly, rear MY09-11 N/A (man) A132U0418J
02a Undertray Assembly, rear All S/Charged, all auto, N/A man MY12+ B132U0470J

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well as David Simon is head of service Lotus USA I do respect his opinion, however reviewing parts lists between the cars all I see is that the under tray was changed in '12 and is later made common to n/a, sc and ISP, this is the tray with the increased venting scope under the trans... later increased again on the Series 2 cars or offered as a Series 1 mod by BOE.

02 Undertray Assembly, rear MY09-11 N/A (man) A132U0418J
02a Undertray Assembly, rear All S/Charged, all auto, N/A man MY12+ B132U0470J
Of note, those would be the ROW MYs, as my "early" 2011 S has the 02a undertray with the scoop on the side. So maybe that's what it's referring to?

·
Illegal Alien
5,145 Posts
Of note, those would be the ROW MYs, as my "early" 2011 S has the 02a undertray with the scoop on the side. So maybe that's what it's referring to?
All S's had the scoop regardless of model year

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
384 Posts
@esseye and @West-of-Hethel that's why I started with "for what it's worth". :)

As for details as to the how's and why's, it was casual conversation a couple of years ago, and I don't really remember I'm afraid. As Julian said, I'm just passing along info from the home office.

Reactions: West-of-Hethel

·
Registered
248 Posts
Couple of years ago?

Can you remember the look of fear in his eyes as he calculated the cost of all those warranty claims for sticky cables. :)

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
384 Posts
Warranties on the 11's would've expired in 2014? It was after that I'm afraid.. Dave would have a laugh at that though!

We put Shinoo's cables on that Evora today. Big improvement! I'll tell you though.. there are some things on this car I'd love to see how they do it at the factory. There are two "P" clips inside the shifter tunnel holding the crossgate cable in place. Trying to get them off and back on the new one and in place is arduous... how about P clips with captive nuts on them? Maybe a hole in the tunnel on the opposite side that you could stick a 1/4" socket through to get the nut/bolt together? Nope.. Hire someone with super small hands!:grin2:

Reactions: West-of-Hethel

·
Registered
248 Posts
Lol.
Both of my 2011 Evoras were serviced by Lotus motorsport at the factory. Both had the cables replaced by Lotus with the later ones.
As you Americans say, go figure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts