The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have decided that i want to start racing go carts again. But i would like to build one instead of buying one.

Is there some plans for one on the net or a book that i can buy???

(the first one doesn't have to be super fast or anything, just reasonable)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Why build a kart? Do you mean do a chassis up build or are you suggesting bending tube and welding?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why?

Why build a kart? Do you mean do a chassis up build or are you suggesting bending tube and welding?
I am thinking of a build up cart. but bending tube and welding would be fine too.

Why would i want to do this, just for fun

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. If it were me I would by the tube chassis and build it up from there. Still plenty fun to build and you get to take advantage of modern chassis design with tapered tubing, countelss hours of testing, etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a fun project. If it were me I would by the tube chassis and build it up from there. Still plenty fun to build and you get to take advantage of modern chassis design with tapered tubing, countelss hours of testing, etc.
Exactly. That would be a great start for me, but i can't seem to find a tube chassis kit for a reasonable cart. by reasonable i mean one that has a chance of handling well and going pretty fast. (Assuming i ever learn to drive it properly)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
You can find a roller quite cheap. Note the spelling with a k. kart.

check www.ekartingnews.com

Would be a lot easier to spend $500 and have a frame, axles, brakes. A lot of engineering goes into those.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
hah... beat Clovis by seconds! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts