The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
I have a 2007 exige s and my neighbor has a 2007 elise
today i had the chance to sit in his car and felt his shifter to be a lot more tight and mechanical feel than my exige s

my exige feels more soft and smooth when you go through the gears, and felt the shift throws were longer

we both bought our cars used STOCK
and we both complain how we can enter into reverse without actually pulling the reverse lever...
so my question is, which one is suppose to feel right?

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Hey guys
I have a 2007 exige s and my neighbor has a 2007 elise
today i had the chance to sit in his car and felt his shifter to be a lot more tight and mechanical feel than my exige s

my exige feels more soft and smooth when you go through the gears, and felt the shift throws were longer

we both bought our cars used STOCK
and we both complain how we can enter into reverse without actually pulling the reverse lever...
so my question is, which one is suppose to feel right?
The shift mechanisms in your car are identical, from the shifter back to the linkage on the trans.

The differences are in all the variances present in how they were installed and adjusted...and variances in manufacturing tolerances in the rather cheap bits that make up the entire mechanism.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
On average the one that shifts nicely seems to be the one that's messed up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
"today i had the chance to sit in his car and felt his shifter"

He felt his shifter... :sad:

I couldn't resist... rotfl

Pictures or it didn't happen... rotfl

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have an 05 elise, and I have never mistakenly shifted into Reverse. I will say that when you're not synced up properly, I gets quite hard to shift (esp into first and R)

One made on a Monday and one made on a Friday. You can decided which is better :)
thats a hard call man. One made when you are still groggy and thinking about what you did yesterday,
and the other made when you are excited and thinking about what you will be doing tomorrow... tough call!

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
1. change lubricant to redline, mt 90 i think. note: it takes 2 complete drain/fills to get old lube out.

2. do stan's shifter mod

3. buy sector 111 stiffening bolt set

4. optional: take off shift mechanism between seats and lube away; adjustments can be made there as well.

·
Registered
355 Posts
LETSLA, properly adjusted, makes a night and day difference. Highly recommended along with the MT90.

Sector bolt set made little to no difference, IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
LETSLA, properly adjusted, makes a night and day difference. Highly recommended along with the MT90.

Sector bolt set made little to no difference, IMO.
After Stan's mod, there was still some flexing/movement at shift tower. The Sector bolt did improve that demonstrably/visibly.

But, you're right in that Stan mod was the bigger improvement.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As much as I like the mechanical feel on my neighbors Elise, he's having trouble getting into gears whereas for mine its really smooth and always feel great going into gears...

Will look into changing the tranny fluid and go from there

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
You should buy the shop manual thru Lotus.

Oh, when trouble getting into/changing gear, try pumping clutch pedal & see if that helps.

After a yr or so, brake fluid usually needs changing/bleeding.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What is "Stan's shifter mod", I did a search but found nothing on it, can anyone post a link?

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think there is considerable variability on shifters in these cars, as well as a big range of experience leading to subjective opinions.

For me, getting the Sector 111 reinforce kit and using the elixir made all the difference. I find the throws to be short and positive. They get even better if you use a heavier shift knob but it's not a necessity.

But even without these mods, I think the shifting is pretty decent. When the car has some revs and g forces going, like every other car the linkage flexes. I can't think of any mid-engined car that doesn't have a linkage of some kind, and there is only so much you can do_Obviously if the transmission was closer to the shifter you could dial in more positive feel (try a 1970 Alfa GTV if you want to feel what it's like to shift about two inches from the tranny), but I honestly never got the complaining about these cars' shifting issues.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Kixo: I believe its because you and your friend's Elise have two different type/shape of shifter tower/cage which can change the stability feel of the throw.

I actually own the very first federal Exige S (Press Car) that made it to the US. My pre '07 Exige S feel's much smoother and more solid than my friend's late model Exige S. Both of us have done the same exact mod (Stan's Shift Mod) to improve the shifting feel but the results came out significantly different.

Heard mixed reviews about the LETSLA so I can't advocate whether that would be the solution to your problem.

Contrary to the post mentioned above, the average shifter that shifts nicely seems to be the one that's not messed up. The shifter that usually feels notchy are more likely to have synchro failures later down the road.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the comment
ill let me my neighbor know about this
he also thinks his synchro is off because shifting from 2nd to 3rd is really rough same as downshifting...

however both of us are having problem of getting into reverse when we try to get into first gear without using the reverse lever..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts