The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I notice there simply aren't a lot of shifter mods available for our cars. The focus seems to be on stiffening the tunnel.

Are short-throw shifters available? A search here reveals nothing. Some folks can use the "Bollocks" shift knob. Some paint there stock knob. And that seems to be about it.

My vision is to have a more engineered looking shifter. No shift boot. Brushed or satin aluminum lever (or shaft...har har). Entering into a brushed or satin gate, featuring gear numbering. Either retain the OEM reverse lockout (the stock shift knob is fine for me), or convert it to a push-engagement.

Does anything like this exist? What is the cumulative list of shifter mods available to us?

Thx!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
B&M makes a short-throw shifter, IIRC.
They used to anyway. Many people have had problems with it hitting/rubbing the inside of the console and not quite working properly. Instead of extending the bottom of the shaft down like on most short shifters (not possible on the Elise), it had to move the cable mounts up on the shaft to shorten the shifter throw - this in turn allows the cable mounts to contact the console. The B&M shifter was really a cure to a problem of a weak shifter shaft - a shaft that was replaced with a re-designed one by Lotus during a recall.

As for the shift gate thing, as already pointed out, Lotus sells on that you can install. But it's just for looks - the design of the shifter wouldn't work well (or at all) with a real gated shifter plate.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I guess B&M must have been getting too many of them back because of what you said, so they quit. I just tried finding one and I couldn't. That would explain why they're not on Sector111's site anymore.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for the link. With that Lotus gate I may be able to try to do what I want.

PS: A shifter gate is a shifter gate. I didn't intend to have a toothed-gate like on a Ferrari or something. Of course that would not work.

I'd seen the B&M but knew it had been discontinued (I looked into this when I first got my car...hoping the results would emerge as time passed...instead they lessened as B&M pulled out!).

Thx for the info guys!

From that thread about the Lotus gate, this is exactly what I'm after:

But this is from a 2-11 or something, right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts