The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 LOTUS EXIGE S240 ICE WHITE
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed that there are a few upgrades from the stock shifter for Exige / Elise.

Inokinetic: Ultimate ShiftR111 Package
Automotive design Automotive exterior Font Auto part Automotive wheel system

Alitech Shifter
Picture frame Hood Automotive design Vehicle Wood

I noticed a new one that came out recently.
Dolomiti Precision Lotus gear shifter.
Automotive tire Asphalt Automotive wheel system Auto part Machine

Hood Automotive design Musical instrument accessory Office supplies Office equipment

Has anyone seen this product or know more about this one?
What are your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Well the alitech is no longer in production. Supposedly there's a version 2 in the works, but you'll probably be waiting forever.

I'm intrigued by the Dolomiti one. Just looking at pictures and without an engineering background, I think it looks better engineered and designed than the inokinetic one. So take that for what it's worth (probably nothing).

Inokinetic is a great company. Some people have had given feedback from their shifter. And some have said it's marginally improved. I think if your existing shift feel isn't too horrible... You might not see a huge difference.

For me... a heavier knob, Stan's mod, shift reinforcing plate, SSC cables and the LETSLA improved shifting greatly. Still not like a s2k or Miata if you're comparing.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I’ve been planning on getting a new shifter but have been holding out because of some of these newer options. If you follow seriouslylotus on Instagram you will see they have the exposed factory shifter that they’re testing on a S2 Elise. Seems they needed to tweak the shift cables. I’m currently in contact with them and was told they’re doing testing at the track on Sunday. If all goes well we may see these newer shift kits offered to us! Seems like we’ll find out very soon! If so I’m sold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aesthetically the Inokentic Ultimate is my favorite out of all three. Dunno how well how the others perform but I was pleased with the improved shift feel over OEM. Heres a few pics of mine.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
Not just the shifter to improve shifting. Motor mounts, Re enforcer/Stans mod, upgraded cables, bellcrank bushings all can help the feel of the shifter making shifting more precise.

Reactions: dzcmnl and gstomp06

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Not just the shifter to improve shifting. Motor mounts, Re enforcer/Stans mod, upgraded cables, bellcrank bushings all can help the feel of the shifter making shifting more precise.
Oh ya. The rear motor mount was also a noticeable improvement.

I've also always wondered if there was a way to improve the shift cable routing. So that it didn't have to go down and loop around the transmission and back. Shortening the cable and making it more direct would be a huge improvement in my mind. But who knows... Maybe if I had a race car with a fully gutted interior.

·
Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
157 Posts
Shortening the cable and making it more direct would be a huge improvement in my mind. But who knows... Maybe if I had a race car with a fully gutted interior.
You mean the way Toyota did it in the MR-S? The cables are shorter, come across the top of the transmission to linkages on the back side of the transmission. IMO Lotus used the front linkage transmission because that's the only way the 6-Speed was produced. It would have cost extra to modify the transaxle to accept the linkage from the rear and only the 5 speed was being assembled with the rear linkage at the time.

I would not be surprised if an MWR shift linkage conversion and Toyota cables would work just fine. Seems like a lot of effort to save a few ounces though.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Reactions: gstomp06

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
Oh ya. The rear motor mount was also a noticeable improvement.

I've also always wondered if there was a way to improve the shift cable routing. So that it didn't have to go down and loop around the transmission and back. Shortening the cable and making it more direct would be a huge improvement in my mind. But who knows... Maybe if I had a race car with a fully gutted interior.
As long as the cable arcs and flows around it should be no issue. I'm from the old 70's motorcycle days everything was cable and not always well routed.

·
Registered
Adding lightness with an angle grinder.
157 Posts
As long as the cable arcs and flows around it should be no issue. I'm from the old 70's motorcycle days everything was cable and not always well routed.
Can confirm. There is not really any noticeable shift difference feel in my Spyder vs my Elise both C6X series transaxles. Both have similar shift hardware upgrades (solid bushings, rollers on the linkage, Etc..) The Elise may be slightly more direct but that could just be geometry and the slightly longer shift arm.

TLDR: You won't feel the difference in cable length.

Reactions: gstomp06

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ve been planning on getting a new shifter but have been holding out because of some of these newer options. If you follow seriouslylotus on Instagram you will see they have the exposed factory shifter that they’re testing on a S2 Elise. Seems they needed to tweak the shift cables. I’m currently in contact with them and was told they’re doing testing at the track on Sunday. If all goes well we may see these newer shift kits offered to us! Seems like we’ll find out very soon! If so I’m sold!
Wow, I would love to be able to run the factory exposed shifter. Please share your experience if you get one once they're available. I was considering replacing my stock cables this winter, but I'll definitely hold off now.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Can confirm. There is not really any noticeable shift difference feel in my Spyder vs my Elise both C6X series transaxles. Both have similar shift hardware upgrades (solid bushings, rollers on the linkage, Etc..) The Elise may be slightly more direct but that could just be geometry and the slightly longer shift arm.

TLDR: You won't feel the difference in cable length.
Haha...well there goes that theory out the window.

·
Administrator
8,335 Posts
Wow, I would love to be able to run the factory exposed shifter. Please share your experience if you get one once they're available. I was considering replacing my stock cables this winter, but I'll definitely hold off now.
How many miles. I had 50K+ and the pivot holes were oval. Big difference with aftermarket cable upgrade.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How many miles. I had 50K+ and the pivot holes were oval. Big difference with aftermarket cable upgrade.
Yeah, sorry, I got overexcited about the exposed shifter and should have said more. Good question. Bought my car this year with 46k miles on it and I've already done a bunch of things (many of which you mentioned) that have definitely helped the shift feel:
  • LETSLA shift mechanism (tried replacing some of the stock parts first)
  • Stan's mod plus DIY reinforcement across front mounting bolts
  • Replaced one loose ball joint at the shift lever
  • Lubed all the pivot points at the shift lever
  • Dripped Triflow into shift cables from both ends
Also going to replace the plastic shift bushing at the lever this winter, should take out a little more play in the crossgate. If I keep the stock lever I'll have to replace at least the shift cable eventually...I'm maxed out on adjustment and with the LETSLA on stock throws I can't get into 5th without bumping into the console cover. Plus the cable shield is damaged at the transmission end.

So yeah I'm not sure how much more improvement I would really get from the S3 lever...might be mostly a cosmetic improvement at this point. But personally I think it's the best looking shifter for these cars so would be fun to do eventually.

·
Registered
335 Posts
"Has anyone seen this product or know more about this one?
What are your thoughts."

Dolomiti gear shifter

Have seen one of these installed in an S2 Exige.

Precision made. CAD similar to the later oem shifter - with internal reverse lift. Durable CNC components and all roller bearing operation and metal lever pivot ball. Tig welded stainless handbrake frame incorporating switch mount.

Lever throw adjustable for Shift and Cross-gate movement. Option of anodised colours for those who wish to leave it exposed.

Your pic shows shifter with SSC cables that come with rod end connections, he can supply these for oem cables.

Precise shifting, a great piece of engineering.

·
Registered
2010 Exige RGB
17 Posts
It must be considered that the car floor plays an important role on the overall stifness.
If never done: remove the shifter cover, pull hard the lever to the left in 1st or 2nd and see what appen to the floor....
Only Dolomiti Shifter and Inokinetic Shiftr111 has a large base to reduce floor bending and improve stifness.

Manuel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts