The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months I purchased a very low mileage 93.5 Esprit. Having not driven an Esprit in a lonnnnngggg time, I didn't recall how the shifter should be. I did remember that it is isn't known for being the most precise out there.

At any rate, I think some is either wrong with the shifter adjustments or maybe, it's my clutch.

Here's the issue:

under full throttle, the tranny is difficult to change gears. I have to "wait" or slow shift the between gears. It just doesn't want to go into the next gear. Conversely, under light loads, the tranny is easy to shift. no problems at all.

The way it feels is that under full load, high rpms, the shifter almost feels pulled (or held) into the gear it is currently in and doesn't really want to come out and go to the next gear. it almost feels as if the clutch isn't fully disengaging.
Also, it will grind on the 1-2 shift if trying to shift it too quickly. I'm not talking about powershifting either. I'm just talking about a normal "spirited driving" shift.

any ideas? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Shifter Hydraulics

I'm guessing hydraulics issue. If the clutch isn't slipping at high speeds, the typical situation when the clutch is ready to go, then you likely have some issue with the master/slave cylinders. Try a good flush and bleed. I am assuming you have no seepage at either the master or the slave.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
There are a few possibilities. First things to check would be the clutch hydraulics themselves. Master & slave clutch cylinders going bad will cause all sorts of shifting problems. Usually when one goes the other isnt far behind. Check your fluid and ensure there are no leaks and it makes sense to bleed the clutch fluid too since any air trapped will cause problems. Even if there arent any leaks, that doesnt mean that the plunger motion isnt weak.

It is also possible that the clutch pedal travel is out of adjustment. Im not 100% sure on how the later Esprits work but its something to look into. It *could* be that simple - as in your pedal isnt allowing complete disengagement due to not enough travel.

Of course, the clutch could also be on its way out. However, in my own experience and reading here, many times its one of the ancillary systems in the transmission that causes the problems. Clutches dont last forever, we know that. But, they are more robust than people think and if its strictly the clutch then there are other more prevalent symptoms(bad slipping) that show up.

The gearbox or synchros could also be getting weak but thats another unlikely, rare occurence.

My bet is the hydraulics being bad or getting bad. Start there, IMO.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
I would also recommend changing the gearbox oil to a recommended spec (Castrol or Redline -- lots of discussion which one is better). They could have put in a lubricant that doesn't work well with this gearbox. It's easy to change as well, and a good idea to do often since there isn't an oil filter for the gearbox.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would also recommend changing the gearbox oil to a recommended spec (Castrol or Redline -- lots of discussion which one is better). They could have put in a lubricant that doesn't work well with this gearbox. It's easy to change as well, and a good idea to do often since there isn't an oil filter for the gearbox.
I put Redline MT90 in the first week of ownership. It was hoping it would be that simple, but it wasn't the case.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks like I'll check into the hydraulics first.

the clutch doesn't slip at all, so I think there is plenty of grip/life left in the clutch.

It is generally recommended to change both the master and slave if there is an issue with either? Who sells them? JAE? or is there a cross referrence for parts from another vehicle?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yep, change them both at the same time. If one is going, the other one will go shortly thereafter.

S2Mikey and I changed the cylinders on his 87 HCi car, and neither one is particularly difficult to do. Just watch out for the bleed nipple on the slave - the slave is sometimes mounted in such a manner that the bleed nipple is on the bottom instead of the top. If that is the case, just the new cylinder the right way up when you install it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know if I can get the master/slave at a local parts store or are these going to be lotus specific parts?

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Check the hydraulics.

But you cannot hurry the 1-2 shift...! There has to be a definite (can be small) pause between 1-2. You should feel it as a 2 stage shift motion. The Esprit even has a spring to slow the 1-2 shift motion IIRC.

You will shatter dog teeth if you don't pause. I can shift 1-2 at redline quickly, just keeping a tiny pause and feeling when the mechanism wants to go.

·
Registered
394 Posts
For cars with the Renault transmission, are the master and slave cylinders the same as used on the UN1 transmission setup on the DeLorean? DeLorean Motor Company has had the master and slave units remanufactured and they are pretty cheap from them ($99 and $69 on their online store).

Knut

Try this link for a cross reference. The clutch master is a Wilwood, the slave is from a land rover. Might be easier just to get the Lotus units though.

Crystal Princess

·
Wingless Wonder
5,410 Posts
Nobody has mentioned the shifter translators or the cables themselves.

These can wear or bind. Lubrication should be done AT LEAST yearly (cables and translators).

If they have been neglected a while, contact JAE for replacements. That will make shifting MUCH better...I'm told. :bow:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts