The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately i have been struggling to put the car into reverse. For the first few days or so with the car, the shifter worked fine. but recently, pulling up on the ring and pushing the shifter to the left won't engage the reverse gear, it simply goes to first. If i ever do have to go into reverse, i have to grab the bottom leather part of the shifter and pull up and to the left to engage reverse. Anybody else have this problem? I would take it to the dealer but the nearest one is a 4-5 hour drive.

The car is a 6spd manual by the way

·
Registered
276 Posts
It could be two different issues or only one, hard to tell from the description. If it's an issue of the collar not pulling up the lockout underneath the leather boot then it could be that the two have separated. In that case my understanding is that the collar is more or less compression fit onto the plastic underneath it with some glue to keep it bonded.

If it's an issue of having to go further to the left than before then it could be the crossgate cable is out of adjustment. This is the cable that moves in/out when you move the stick left/right. There's info on the forum related to adjusting the shift cables.

I had both issues happen to mine after leaving it at a detailer, my guess was that they tried to aggressively put it into reverse given that it showed no signs of either issue a day earlier. The dealer re-glued the collar and adjusted the crossgate cable. I did some further adjustment of the crossgate cable but it still doesn't feel 100%.

Both are doable DIY fixes, you have to remove the emblem on the top of the shifter to get the shift knob off if you need to re-glue the collar. The shift cables can be accessed without all that, just be patient removing the trim around the shifter and don't lose any of the damn metal clips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be two different issues or only one, hard to tell from the description. If it's an issue of the collar not pulling up the lockout underneath the leather boot then it could be that the two have separated. In that case my understanding is that the collar is more or less compression fit onto the plastic underneath it with some glue to keep it bonded.

If it's an issue of having to go further to the left than before then it could be the crossgate cable is out of adjustment. This is the cable that moves in/out when you move the stick left/right. There's info on the forum related to adjusting the shift cables.

I had both issues happen to mine after leaving it at a detailer, my guess was that they tried to aggressively put it into reverse given that it showed no signs of either issue a day earlier. The dealer re-glued the collar and adjusted the crossgate cable. I did some further adjustment of the crossgate cable but it still doesn't feel 100%.

Both are doable DIY fixes, you have to remove the emblem on the top of the shifter to get the shift knob off if you need to re-glue the collar. The shift cables can be accessed without all that, just be patient removing the trim around the shifter and don't lose any of the damn metal clips.
Sorry for not explaining that well, but i think its the first problem you just described, because the collar seems to have disconnected from whatever piece engages the mechanism that allows it to go into reverse.
How long will it take to fix, and are there any diys on how to do it? Thanks for the help, ill probably get on it this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts