The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Can you make a quick list of things to pick up from Home Depot? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to pick up a bunch of extras, but this might save me some time! TIA.

- J

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Apparently I missed this thread on Etalk? Any links to the thread talking about this shifter mod?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
That's interesting. When I did mine I wanted to make something with a large cross sectional area that rested on the floor but I didn't want to risk tighteneing against that aluminum floor for fear of bending it. But it looks like the floor didn't deform at all. That gives me an idea for a further tweak.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Line Rock

Dam you guys are making me homesick, I may have to evict the renters from
my house on Candlewood lake. Nice driving MyElise !
Don.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Most marine stores do stock the metric bolts and washers, including Allen Heads. Steel to aluminum is going to corrode and eat any threads cut in the aluminum unless a good anti-corrosive (anti-electrolisis) is used. I like Tef-Gel. Quality stainless will be better in 20 years than having used regular steel bolts but more expensive. I spend more time and $$ at West Marine than Home Depot, YMMV. I find Home Depot stainless does not do the job.

As to being interior of the car, with the top off the car while I am out sailing, the salt air is going to affect the car if precautions are not taken.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Thanks all. I will get down to a West Marine eventually.

Noticed they had some aluminum waxes/protectants, but not sure if they would remove the anodization. Redundant perhaps.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
So does this mod help with finding gears? I mis-shifted three times yesterday, a very unusual thing. Of course I've never shifted into third at an autox before 9a very fast course), and the mis-shifts were all to third (out of 10 runs). :( It ruined two good runs and left me very frustrated.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
CALtd said:
As to being interior of the car, with the top off the car while I am out sailing, the salt air is going to affect the car if precautions are not taken.
Right. With about 350 days a year of brisk on-shore breezes, we have plenty of salt and humidity in the air. I find that plated stuff doesn't last very long. I completely refitted my house with Baldwin "lifetime guaranteed" brass fixtures. Three years later all of the outside hardware is very noticeably pitted. Forget about brass lamps. And, I have to keep a thin coating of oil on my tools or they're goners. Galvanized steel...forget it. This problem extends even several miles inland.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Vantage said:
Can you make a quick list of things to pick up from Home Depot? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to pick up a bunch of extras, but this might save me some time! TIA.

- J
I can't say it will "save you time", or cash, but discover Marshall's hardware off of Miramar. (an Ace hardware, but nothing like you've ever seen.) You'll be doing the :nanner2: as soon as you walk in.

Every bolt you can imagine, in your choice of material.

That said, having a rough shopping list would help -- what size is that bolt and washers? Is the blind nut already in place, or did you have to put one underneath? Anything else you'd get?

Every good mod begins with a trip to Marshalls. :)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Surferjer said:
So does this mod help with finding gears? I mis-shifted three times yesterday, a very unusual thing. Of course I've never shifted into third at an autox before 9a very fast course), and the mis-shifts were all to third (out of 10 runs). :( It ruined two good runs and left me very frustrated.
Jer -

I had never been to the track and not had at least one balky shift. Really helps! Try it. Quick and easy....whichever method you choose. :D

With the cover off put it in third and push a bit and watch the shifter frame flex. Then put the bolt and washers in and try it again. Not perfect but a significant difference.

I won't file a protest. :D

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Theroretically speaking I may look at this slight mod. Just theoretically speaking. :)

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I too installed the Stan studly mod. I had to oblong the hole in the shifter bracket. Quick and easy with dremel and carbide cutter.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
jim-clayton said:
I too installed the Stan studly mod. I had to oblong the hole in the shifter bracket. Quick and easy with dremel and carbide cutter.
I had to open up the hole also. There was no way that bolt would go in without cross threading it if I didn't. Even loosening up all the bolts, I couldn't shift the carrier enough to avoid grinding.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hey Mister.... did Smokey wrench on that car ?

Stan said:
Hmm...maybe I should come up with a snappy nickname for my mod idea?
...............''The Smokey Bolt''. I performed this mod over a year ago on a few''sporty Elises'' my plan being to leverage for more Guinness at the Tech Inspection. :eek: All the best, Don

·
Registered
859 Posts
Bolt

Stan said:
What does ''The Smokey Bolt'' mean?
Gee Stan your making me feel old, the king of ''competitive'' race car tweeks,
and rule book interpretation, my hero..... Smokey Yunick. Don.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The best

ChrisB said:
"Best Damn Garage in Town"
Amen Chris ! ......... any town.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts