The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

As a new Lotus owner, my biggest issue with the car is that the bony part of my leg just below the knee sits right on the hard plastic of the shifter 'tunnel' near the traction control button.

I think my life would be made much nicer just by sticking a pad of some kind to the side of the tunnel. I have been looking around a bit and have not seen anything that looks comfy/the right size/not 'cheap'

Anyone have a good solution? I have to imagine I am not the only one who sits this way and has an issue...

Thanks,
Pat

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I know what you mean but it doesn't really bother me. If you're looking for something nice/high end you could pull out the console and take it to a custom upholstery shop to have them wrap it and add some padding. Or you could buy some sort of soft pad (I bet you could find something at a Bed, Bath and Beyond) and just double side tape it there.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
get tunnel covered in leather w/bit of padding.

looks better, is quieter.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I use
A swatch oF Velcro that is stuck on the offending spot.
Not perfect but helps.
Use the fuzzy side....
Sam

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a mousepad that had just the right size and shape of gel wristpad. Used some trim mounting tape to mount it. Works perfect, looks fine.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I used to have that problem. I don't know what happened but it went away in time. Maybe I developed a callous? Maybe I changed my seating position? Try scooting the seat forward a little. I've found that I can comfortably drive the car in about 3 different seat settings.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I just use a small, folded, micro fiber towel as a cushion and rest my knee on it, against the tunnel - very comfortable.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to update this a little: I switched to racing seats, which made me sit farther forward by a couple inches. It took a little bit to get used to the new position, but now that I am I notice that my leg does not push against the pad anymore.

Just in case anyone else has this problem, the pad worked fine, but try just moving your seat forward 1-2 inches and see if you can make that work.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
To truly enjoy the car, have surgery to have your knees relocated.

This is the Lotus we are talking about - let's have our priorities.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
For autocross and the track I wear a knee pad turned sideways. I put one on the left also in the summer, when the left rail starts to heat up from the coolant lines. Heats up a lot on the track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts