The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last track day I had a weird problem. It was very hard to upshift into fourth and fifth. It took a lot of force to get it into gear and it would usually grind. The strange thing is that this doesn't happen on the street at all (before or since). Even driving home from the track immeadiately after my last session it was fine. Only difference in driving style track to street is that on the track I'm shifting at redline where on the street I'm shortshifting.
Only other possible pertinant factors...it was very hot that day (90 plus), also I had just done the "Stan's" clutch peddle mod which reduces the free play in the clutch peddle before it disengages. (it now has almost no free play, as soon as I start letting out the clutch it engages). Could the heat have affected the clutch and under those conditions it's not fully engaged even when pushed all trhe way in to the (modified) stop?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Funny you should bring this topic up. I started having shifting issues soon after my clutch/flywheel replacement. Sometimes when I push the clutch in it would act as if I never pushed the clutch in and I'd have to force it out of gear into neutral (most common in 2nd gear).

It's now becoming increasingly difficult to get the car into 2nd gear and 4th gear. I also didn't realize that both clutch and shift mechanism are both cable operated (big UGH!!) -- I thought shifting was a linkage, was I wrong.

For you aftermarket folks reading this -- can you see the potential here?? Someone to come up with a track worthy linkage rather than cable is GOLDEN!!! It does boggle my mind that Lotus stayed with a cable to operate shifting -- that's just insane for track duty. Cables stretch, bend, kink, wear rapidly, basically a HORRIBLE solution for a sports car and even worse for a car with a focus on track driving.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
The engine damper is a VERY good investment, but it hasn't cured shifting issues -- pretty sure it's the cable -- cables stretch, add heat they stretch more, add even more heat and they start to stick.

I also tried Sector 111's shifter brace, that was a complete waste of money and I didn't realize the kit drilled thru the undertray and uses that as part of the bracing -- crazy setup as the undertray flexes very easily.

Guess I'll just have to budget in yearly cable replacements as part of the cost of ownership til someone comes out with a real track worthy solution.

I think it'll take more than just one item to cure the shifting issues with these cars.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check to make sure that you didn't melt the shift cables. The elise is prone to this in track situations, and it will certainly impede shifting. The cable that controls side to side motion is the usual suspect. Just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts