The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the dreaded "blue ball failure" today driving my 2011 NA back from Montana. At least I assume that's what happened since the shift handle just literally popped off when I tried to put it into reverse and is no longer connected to anything. Haven't had a chance to open up the center console to double check, but I'm 99.9% sure that what happened. Anyhow, since I know that really the only options are to buy a whole shifter mechanism from Lotus (since they won't sell you the "blue ball" by itself") or get the ShiftR111 system, I figured I'd check with the brain trust here to see what folks think of it, since someone here has to have one.

In terms of installation, if you did it yourself, how hard was it to route the cables? Did you have to remove the rear clam to do it? I am pretty sure that you have to do some modifications to the center console to fit the ShiftR 111, but I feel confident I could do that no problem. How difficult was it to set the cables up into proper configuration once they are changed out? I'd get the upgraded cables in the package and replace the original ones as long as I was in there. If its too complicated, there's a local race shop I trust to do it, but if it would save me a couple grand and isn't too hard, would make a good project for a weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I know I've seen a few posts here from people that have gone the ShiftR route and are very happy with the results. That'll be the direction I go if/when it happens to mine.

Here's a recent thread, which has a bunch of other threads relating to the shifter and blue ball syndrome: Evora shifter blue balls

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
So I had the dreaded "blue ball failure" today driving my 2011 NA back from Montana. At least I assume that's what happened since the shift handle just literally popped off when I tried to put it into reverse and is no longer connected to anything. Haven't had a chance to open up the center console to double check, but I'm 99.9% sure that what happened. Anyhow, since I know that really the only options are to buy a whole shifter mechanism from Lotus (since they won't sell you the "blue ball" by itself") or get the ShiftR111 system, I figured I'd check with the brain trust here to see what folks think of it, since someone here has to have one.

In terms of installation, if you did it yourself, how hard was it to route the cables? Did you have to remove the rear clam to do it? I am pretty sure that you have to do some modifications to the center console to fit the ShiftR 111, but I feel confident I could do that no problem. How difficult was it to set the cables up into proper configuration once they are changed out? I'd get the upgraded cables in the package and replace the original ones as long as I was in there. If its too complicated, there's a local race shop I trust to do it, but if it would save me a couple grand and isn't too hard, would make a good project for a weekend.
I have a blueball shifter here. Changing it is a 10 min job. $150.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Hello, I had Gator Motorsport at Indianapolis install shift 111R.

So this is what I've heard from master technician at Gator, Owen, and what I've heard while I was collecting data on the shifter.

For the installation, I've heard couple guys in the forum installing the shifter by themselves so if you have adequate D.I.Y knowledge, I think its doable. You have to drill a hole and I think that seems to be the scariest/hardest part. Also, I've heard that you don't need to remove the rear clam.

However, adjustment seems to be the hardest part. The technician at Gator told me that the hardest part of the installation was adjustment of the shift cable. He told me that the cable length was so long that there were some difficulties making everything perfect. I remember one forum posting where guy installed the shiftier and then drove to the dealership to get it adjusted.

Also, shift 111R is great, but it isn't perfect. In fact, my car has similar issue that everyone who've installed the shifter has. Reverse gear lockout is not only tight but VERY Short and 3rd and 4th is not lined perfectly while six is kinda far out. (It sounds bad, but actually not a big issue). I've asked Inokinetic about these issues and they said that's how the shifter is suppose to be.

However, shifter itself feels amazing, its a lot more mechanical. I hope that there were some more tension like Civic Type-R/Evora GT, but, it none the less feels amazing. (Shifter is still every light like OEM one, except it has tons of more feeling.)

I did not go for OEM Lotus solution because I've heard cases of blue ball failure even when people updated the series 1 version. However, if you can find a way to install Evora GT/400 shifter, that maybe awesome (although I can't talk about the reliability of it), it feels like a Honda shifter. (However, how the shift cable is connected to the transmission is different from what is installed at Series 1 Evoras, so I think you may need to get new parts and stuff)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
View attachment 1265766 View attachment 1265767

Hello, I had Gator Motorsport at Indianapolis install shift 111R.

So this is what I've heard from master technician at Gator, Owen, and what I've heard while I was collecting data on the shifter.

For the installation, I've heard couple guys in the forum installing the shifter by themselves so if you have adequate D.I.Y knowledge, I think its doable. You have to drill a hole and I think that seems to be the scariest/hardest part. Also, I've heard that you don't need to remove the rear clam.

However, adjustment seems to be the hardest part. The technician at Gator told me that the hardest part of the installation was adjustment of the shift cable. He told me that the cable length was so long that there were some difficulties making everything perfect. I remember one forum posting where guy installed the shiftier and then drove to the dealership to get it adjusted.

Also, shift 111R is great, but it isn't perfect. In fact, my car has similar issue that everyone who've installed the shifter has. Reverse gear lockout is not only tight but VERY Short and 3rd and 4th is not lined perfectly while six is kinda far out. (It sounds bad, but actually not a big issue). I've asked Inokinetic about these issues and they said that's how the shifter is suppose to be.

However, shifter itself feels amazing, its a lot more mechanical. I hope that there were some more tension like Civic Type-R/Evora GT, but, it none the less feels amazing. (Shifter is still every light like OEM one, except it has tons of more feeling.)

I did not go for OEM Lotus solution because I've heard cases of blue ball failure even when people updated the series 1 version. However, if you can find a way to install Evora GT/400 shifter, that maybe awesome (although I can't talk about the reliability of it), it feels like a Honda shifter. (However, how the shift cable is connected to the transmission is different from what is installed at Series 1 Evoras, so I think you may need to get new parts and stuff)
Thanks SuHong! That was some of the information I was hoping to hear, especially about the small difficulties with the reverse and the odd shift pattern, as I was not aware of those.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Pretty sure you can now order a replacement (blue ball) directly from lotus.

Part Number: A132F6364S

This product fits 18 vehicle variants.
Lotus: 2 models, 18 variants between 2009 and 2020.

Although it states it for MY12, it also states it fits 2011 but you might want to verify.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I have the ShiftR 111 and it's better than stock. I already had the upgraded cables, so I can't help you there. Here's the only thing I had an issue with. FYI - I cut the thread down and the shifter is pretty much perfect in placement and feel. shiftR111+ Adjustment Question

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've got the Shift111 and cables installed by Inokinetic 4 years ago (short after I purchased the car (MY2010).
My OE still in good working condition in my storage, but it look and feel so cheap.
I didn't experience any issue and it worth any penny.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I installed the ShiftR111 in my MY 2011. I did have it installed professionally with new cables. At first it feels very strange due to the gate pattern but you become quickly accustomed to it. My ONLY complaint is due to the reverse lockout system it’s virtually impossible to get a good clean fit with the original shift boot.

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
384 Posts
I have the Inokinetic and like it quite a bit. Didn't have any problems adjusting the cables or reverse lockout.

My old install thread is here:

Reactions: BoseMensch

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced the stock shifter with the Inokinetic and new cables. If you replace the cables, it definitely isn't a DYI job anymore. The shift action is much improved, but I agree with others that it takes some getting used to. My biggest pet peeve was lining up second with the reverse lockout, so that the shifter can't travel further left than you need to get into second. Since that was done, it's held up just fine for predominant track use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts