The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What's the difficulty level of this install? I'm keeping the stock cables. I've already done the LETSLA, Stan's Mod, and ReInforcer. I'm pretty happy with the setup. So I'm not sure how much MORE it will help with the shifting experience. Having never driven a car with the ShiftR 111, I don't have a comparison point. What I do know is that I like the looks of the ShiftR 111. I've also gotten quotes for install ranging from $600 to $950.
Thanks,

·
Registered
275 Posts
I installed the ShiftR 111 on my Elise and the results were ... OK. I guess I was lucky and had a decent stock shifter to start with, and did not know that. The results are fine, but the change was not astonishing. So if you've done some of the obvious mods and are happy, I would hesitate to spend the time and money going for the ShiftR 111. The install is annoying but certainly doable. You can get the installation manual from them and see if you feel comfortable tackling it yourself.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
715 Posts
Hi,

What's the difficulty level of this install? I'm keeping the stock cables. I've already done the LETSLA, Stan's Mod, and ReInforcer. I'm pretty happy with the setup. So I'm not sure how much MORE it will help with the shifting experience. Having never driven a car with the ShiftR 111, I don't have a comparison point. What I do know is that I like the looks of the ShiftR 111. I've also gotten quotes for install ranging from $600 to $950.
Thanks,
I can promise you that if your shifter isn’t completely busted and trashed that replacing to the one you mentioned is not a jaw dropper. I’ve driven them back to back and in my honest opinion, it’s def not worth the money.

·
Administrator
4,407 Posts
I have the stock shifter and installed the SSC cables and that was an appreciable difference.

Reactions: Darren Donovan

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I would spend my $$ elsewhere. All the reports I have read on the install and then the shift improvement after, have not been that impressive.

Reactions: Darren Donovan

·
Less is Better
2,843 Posts
It is a beautiful mechanism. High quality materials, ball joints and bearings. But as others have said, if your shift action is not sloppy and you've done Stan's mod, you won't find much improvement. It's easy to check. Take your console off and move the lever around, if there's no paly between the lever movement and the cable movement, you're not going to experience much difference with the ShiftR. As to install difficulty, I've made a few videos on the process and impressions if you're interested in seeing it done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the ShiftR111 installed with the SSC cable. I didnt feel too much difference and I agree not worth the money. Unfortunately, (or perhaps fortunately) I had a problem within a week, eventually losing all the forward throw gears beginning with reverse. I brought it to a transmission shop here in El Paso. They tried to re-run and tighten the cable using directions from Inokinetic but that didn't work out. I contacted Shinoo at Inokinetic (extremely helpful) and purchased the rest of the Ultimate ShiftR package. The transmission guy was able to run the cable using the directions supplied with no problem. With this setup the shifter is now MUCH tighter and now also shorter. A great improvement and worth the money I think.

·
Registered
128 Posts
BTW was able to retain the leather console. The first installer removed the boot and made the hole bigger. Fits fine. I like the cleaner look of a console and boot rather than exposed shifter. I am looking at having a custom boot made.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your opinions. Much appreciated!
I've made a short video clip showing the movement of the stock shifter. What do you think? As mentioned, I have the LETSLA, Stan's mod, and Reinforcer installed. Does your ShiftR 111 have the same movement, or less? Since the majority opinions offered indicate that it's not worth the money, I'm having a little reservation about doing this. However, I do think that the ShiftR 111 looks much better than my stock shifter assembly naked. I intend to leave the ShiftR 111 without the cover, I like the exposed internals. I already have the new shifter in my possession, but it's still returnable.
Thanks,

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've made a short video clip showing the movement of the stock shifter. What do you think? As mentioned, I have the LETSLA, Stan's mod, and Reinforcer installed. Does your ShiftR 111 have the same movement, or less? Since the majority opinions offered indicate that it's not worth the money, I'm having a little reservation about doing this. However, I do think that the ShiftR 111 looks much better than my stock shifter assembly naked. I intend to leave the ShiftR 111 without the cover, I like the exposed internals. I already have the new shifter in my possession, but it's still returnable.
Thanks,

Your cables move instantly when moving your shifter so the slop isn’t in the shifter mechanism itself.

·
Less is Better
2,843 Posts
Thanks,

Hold onto the cup that holds the cable to the shifter as you do that and see if you can feel any free play. Also, do you feel any free play between the shift lever and the base? If you don't have play in either area, you probably wouldn't find much benefit from the ShiftR. You have the stock cables. The housings will separate from the collar at the transmission side eventually. If this hasn't happened yet, you are fine but the upgraded cables from Inokinetic and SSC are a bit thicker gauge and better made so they will last longer.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hold onto the cup that holds the cable to the shifter as you do that and see if you can feel any free play. Also, do you feel any free play between the shift lever and the base? If you don't have play in either area, you probably wouldn't find much benefit from the ShiftR. You have the stock cables. The housings will separate from the collar at the transmission side eventually. If this hasn't happened yet, you are fine but the upgraded cables from Inokinetic and SSC are a bit thicker gauge and better made so they will last longer.
I agree with this, you possibly could benefit from new cables as I know after replacing mine piece by piece, the biggest “improvement” was from the cables themselves over the shifter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts