The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my shiftR111+ this weekend. Installation was pretty easy and took maybe 4 hours. Hardest part of the install was getting the nutserts crushed (they are steel instead of aluminum).
I have not asked @shinoo but I also have the TRANScables (were on when I purchased the car) and for the Cross Gate, I'm out of adjustment. Basically, 1st and 2nd are center, where I would think 3rd and 4th are, straight up and down with no pressure on the shifter. Getting to 3rd is "weird" because it's more up and over, not center in the shift pattern. In driving the car, it shifts great, it's just 3rd is going to take some getting used to. I would love to be able to run the rod ends in more, there is thread, it just bottoms out. I thought about cutting some of the threaded end off, but I have not. Any else run into this?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I installed my shiftR111+ this weekend. Installation was pretty easy and took maybe 4 hours. Hardest part of the install was getting the nutserts crushed (they are steel instead of aluminum).
I have not asked @shinoo but I also have the TRANScables (were on when I purchased the car) and for the Cross Gate, I'm out of adjustment. Basically, 1st and 2nd are center, where I would think 3rd and 4th are, straight up and down with no pressure on the shifter. Getting to 3rd is "weird" because it's more up and over, not center in the shift pattern. In driving the car, it shifts great, it's just 3rd is going to take some getting used to. I would love to be able to run the rod ends in more, there is thread, it just bottoms out. I thought about cutting some of the threaded end off, but I have not. Any else run into this?
The shop that installed mine ran into this. There are apparently supposed to be a set of instructions that contain information for cutting the thread off. I've asked for the instructions but they don't seem to actually exist. If you call them they can give you the information but sounds like you already know what to do. Hopefully @shinoo will get specifics out for that.

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
384 Posts
I ran into a couple of fidget-y things doing my shiftr install.. can't speak to this particular issue as I was re-using my stock blue cables, but the techsupport guy carlos ат inokinetic.сом was very helpful. I'd hit him up.

·
Maniacal Motorist
86 Posts
Yes, threads must be cut off. I shortened enough to remove the jam nut and be able to bottom-out the eye on the threads. Otherwise the 1st/2nd plane was way too far right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine is also a bit further to the right. It took about a week to get used to it, but not a problem anymore. My issue is the leather gaiter doesn’t really fit that well anymore. The adjustment cable for the reverse lockout creates an issue as now the gaiter is too short. I had to “rig” a trim piece out of a large rubber washer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Mine is also a bit further to the right. It took about a week to get used to it, but not a problem anymore. My issue is the leather gaiter doesn’t really fit that well anymore. The adjustment cable for the reverse lockout creates an issue as now the gaiter is too short. I had to “rig” a trim piece out of a large rubber washer. Any ideas?
What year? My 2011 gaiter fits over it OK. The one thing they did is used a vacuum cap on the reverse cable end to protect the gaiter from the sharp cable end.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will cut off the threads and get the right adjustment!
I know my gaiter is tight on the right hand side because the shifter is to far right (to me), plus it has a hole in it. I'm going to bring it to my interior guy and see if he can make one 1" longer, but maybe it won't need to be if I get it more to the right. Now I need to check the reverse cable to see if it's rubbing. I didn't think about that. Great idea on the vacuum cap!

·
Registered
184 Posts
“What year? My 2011 gaiter fits over it OK. The one thing they did is used a vacuum cap on the reverse cable end to protect the gaiter from the sharp cable end.”

Mine is a 2011 as well. I use a bit of blue threadlock on the adjustment as it had a tendency to vibrate loose. Then I tucked the gaiter on itself inside to protect it. First I tried a heavy duty zip tie from inside to secure it, but it failed in a day.

The only quick fix I could think of was a large black plumbing washer that I split to fit around the shifter shaft. Other than that I’m at a loss. The pic is without the washer on top.

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,248 Posts
Yes, we have found on some of the Evoras that cutting the end of the cable is needed for best adjustment. Not all require this.

The @shinoo is not something I am familiar with. The best way to reach me is to call (951)296-6762. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts